CMU pitchers Enns, Weaver, Longstreth drafted

Pitchers Dietrich Enns, Jon Weaver and Ryan Longstreth have become the latest Central Michigan baseball players chosen in the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.

Enns, a junior, came first in the 19th round, pick No. 607, to the New York Yankees.

“It feels great, definitely an exciting time,” Enns said. “I was sitting in my pool just relaxing when I found out and, needless to say, I was pretty excited.”

Weaver didn’t have to wait long after to hear his name called by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 21st round at the 662nd overall pick.

“I actually missed the fact that I got drafted,” Weaver said. “I got a voicemail from the scout and my first reaction was shocked; I just got drafted.”

Longstreth had to wait it out as the senior was selected by the Detroit Tigers with their final pick in the 40th round (No. 1,234 overall). He said he found out while he was driving home.

“It’s like a dream come true,” Longstreth said. “It was tough because I waited all day and I almost gave up on it and accepting that it wasn’t going to happen. Then the scout called me."

Enns started this season in the Chippewas bullpen before becoming the starter on May 6 against Northern Illinois. In that start he threw a complete game shutout, giving CMU its first sweep of the season.

He finished the season with at 4-2 with an ERA of 2.34. As a starter, Enns was 2-0 with an ERA of 0.89.

“Dietrich had been a closer for us and we knew when we brought him in the game was over,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “Things change sometimes and people develop like Jon Weaver and we felt there was a need to put Dietrich into a starting role.”

Weaver spent most of the season coming out of the bullpen for the Chippewas after struggling in his first two starts of the season. After Enns became a starter, Weaver filled in the closer role and was impressive. There, Weaver recorded seven saves — fourth most in a single season in CMU baseball history.

Weaver will be most remembered for his clutch pitching in the 2012 Mid-American Conference tournament, where he went 2-0 with an ERA of 0, a save and six strikeouts.

“He was outstanding and embraced that change (from starter to closer),” Jaksa said. “He just became more confident and by the end he was the best closer out there. When we brought him we knew we were going to win.”

Much like shortstop Jordan Dean, Enns will have to make the decision on whether to take the contract with the Yankees or come back for his senior season and hope get drafted higher next season.

Weaver ends his career as Chippewa with a 5-4 record, an ERA of 3.56, seven saves and 49 strikeouts in just two seasons with the team.

He played two seasons at Heartland Community College before transferring to CMU for the 2011 season.

“The next for me is to go home and the scout who drafted me is coming to talk to me to get everything set up,” Weaver said.

Longstreth went 3-3 on the season with an 3.93 ERA. He began the season as a starter but ended up in the bullpen, much like Weaver, where he gave Jaksa a strong left-handed reliever.

“He had never had the opportunity to do that (come out of the bullpen) and he didn’t know a lot about it," Jaksa said. "When we presented it to him and he got better and better.”

Longstreth spent his freshman year at Saginaw Valley State University where he threw four complete games. He then transferred to Kellogg Community College for his sophomore season and earned second-team All-MCCAA with a 5-2 record and a 3.88 ERA.

He joins Dean as the second Chippewa drafted by the Tigers this year.

“Tomorrow night I’m going to Jordan Dean’s house when the scout comes up and we’re going to both sign, I think,” Longstreth said.

Of the five Chippewas drafted this season, four were pitchers. In the last three years, under pitching coach Jeff Opalewski, seven CMU pitchers have gone on to play professionally.

“Opalewski has done a great job and we’ve said we need bring in good arms and develop good arms,” Jaksa said. “You develop those guys into a game plan and have them trust that game plan and he’s done a great job doing that.”