Adult-themed 'Spring Awakening' set for weekend opening at Broadway Theatre

springawakening

"Spring Awakening" will soon be hitting the Broadway Theatre.

But the musical, exploring various themes such as puberty, is not recommended for children.

The Tony Award winning musical "Spring Awakening" will open at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Broadway Theatre, 216 E. Broadway St.

It will be run Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m. as well as at 2 p.m. this Sunday and Sept. 16.

“Even though the story demonstrates the tragedies and grief that can occur in life, it is filled with moving music, sexy rock-star performances, and varying degrees of humor," Director John Saint Jones said in an email.

Jones, of Mount Pleasant, said due to the explicit lyrics and intimate nature of the scenes only open-mined, mature people will fully appreciate the impact of this production.

“'Spring Awakening' brings a message of accepting others and having family that communicates well together," Phil Mikus, Union Township chairman of Trustees, said.

Mount Pleasant sophomore Conor Andrew Hall, who plays "Melchior," has participated in plays such as "Rent" and "Sweeney Todd" with Broadway Theater before.

“I love 'Spring Awakening,'” Hall said in an email. “It’s one of my favorite shows, as it’s a musical you might not come out of feeling great; it’s very rooted in real life problems: teenage pregnancy, hormonal confusion, school-related fear and suicide.”

Hall said “Melchior” is the male lead, but he isn’t the protagonist. All the horrible things in the play that happen are because of him.

Jones said after experiencing the musical, perhaps parents or parents-to-be will consider what to tell their children when helping them prepare for the challenges of puberty.

“The fact that the leading characters are just entering their teens and are going through their ‘Spring Awakening’ adds to the thought provoking action,” he said.

He hadn't stepped on stage since high school until 2008, when his daughter Allie inspired him to get back into acting.

“I brought her to (the) auditions for that first show ('I’ll Be Home for Christmas') and she insisted that I also try out,” he said.

In that show, Carpenter played the lead role “Howard” and Allie sang in the choir.

“Since then I have been in numerous shows with the Broadway Theater, both as an actor, a director, stage manager, assistant director and tech crew,” Carpenter said. “She and I have been involved in many shows at the Broadway. To us, it is like a second home and a second family.”

He said his role “Adult Male” is actually nine non-singing roles include: the headmaster, a teacher, a priest, a doctor, several different fathers and an abortionist.