Graduate housing project '50 percent done'; construction on CMED research labs to be complete by June 1

With winter fast approaching, the graduate student housing project is more than 50-percent complete.

"The goal is to try to get it all sealed up for winter," Lawrence said. "That includes the continuation of brick, windows and finishing the roof."

Parking lots and other entrances are still closed due to construction on the project.

"The Lansing Street entrance into Lot 8 is currently closed so we can extend the underground steam and data lines from the Franklin Street tunnel crossing," Lawrence said.

Lawrence said having the steam connected is critical to having temporary heat later this fall.

The masonry work will continue wrapping around each building in sections, with faces being run up to the roof line.  The windows still have to be set into place and the roof installation is still a continuation.

All of the interior mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems are being routed in the walls and ceilings. Once the building is weather tight, the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems will be inspected and wallboard will start being hung.

Permanent power will also be turned on in late October, allowing the activation of HVAC equipment and lights, Lawrence said.

The buildings are still on schedule to be completed by the end of March 2013, with the exception of some final spring landscaping and other exterior details set to be completed in April or May of that same year.

CMED updates

A research lab building will be constructed for the College of Medicine after being approved by the Board of Trustees during the Sept. 20 meeting.

The building will have a $7-million budget and should be completed by June 1, 2013, said Vice President of Facilities Management Steve Lawrence.

It will include eight labs, eight offices and enough space for 24 graduate students. One of those eight labs will be reserved for student use for the College of Health Professions.

These labs will be primarily used for the College of Medicine, when new staff is brought in for research.

"When we hire a new medical faculty, they bring the research with them," Lawrence said.

There is a large variety of labs on campus ranging from academic labs in the Woldt Lower Level to the wet labs in Brooks Hall.

The labs meant for the College of Medicine will be wet labs equipped with sinks and vacuum hoods, Lawrence said.

Clark Construction Company, out of Lansing, is set to build the project. Recently, Clark was involved with the Events Center and Anspach Hall renovations.

Updates on other campus projects

The Real Food on Campus is about 99 percent complete after renovations and is now open for business.

RFoC is one of the largest cafeterias on campus, and many new features were added. The seating area was completely changed, providing booth-type seating, conventional self-standing tables, high top seating and smaller tables. Additionally, new flooring was added throughout the eating areas.

The area provides several private dining and meeting areas, and six separated spaces, providing a more “home –like” setting as opposed to a hall type dining room, Lawrence said.

"(There are) six large TVs in place for entertainment, as well as an upgraded lighting system which provides more control over the lighting and can be adjusted for different occasions and needs," he said.

Several serving areas were created and food preparation stations were added, including the new Mongolian grill area where food is cooked in full view using the foods selected by the customer.

"There are still some minor punchlist items left to complete," Lawrence said.

The project began on May 7, 2012, and, three months later, was completed by Aug. 14, 2012.

Lawrence said the final cost of the renovation is not in yet, but the estimated cost is below the $1.4 million budget.