Fall World Series concludes with Maroon comeback victory

A two-run ninth inning gave the Maroon team a 7-6 victory in the final game of the intrasquad Fall World Series Wednesday at Theunissen Stadium.

The win was Maroon’s sixth in seven games this fall, coming on a ninth-inning hit by freshman Morgan Oliver.

Head coach Steve Jaksa said he liked the maturity and progression he saw this fall and wants his team to develop a solid defensive mindset.

“Overall, we have some guys that can give us some really good quality innings, and I’m very pleased with the growth I’ve seen in our pitchers this fall,” Jaksa said. “I think this fall was an opportunity for our young pitchers to mature right away and get them comfortable with their surroundings. We have to make sure we are solid defensively.”

Freshmen Taylor Lehnert and Jimmy McNamara got the start for their respective teams. Lehnert pitched 5 1/3 innings for the Gold team and gave up two runs off six hits.

The Maroon squad got a boost from McNamara, who threw 5 2/3 innings while surrendering four runs and giving up seven hits.

Redshirt freshman Neal Jacobs doubled in the first innings, scoring sophomore Nick Regnier to open the scoring for the Gold squad. A single from sophomore Tyler Huntey followed, which scored junior Noel Santos.

Jaksa said he was pleased with the growth and maturation of many of his players throughout the fall and the overall leadership on the team.

“I think there is a combination of guys that need to step up and do those things,” Jaksa said. “The seniors want to leave a legacy on and off the field. It’s a trickle down effect for everyone to have the opportunity to lead, and it starts at the top with the seniors.”

Maroon scored their first run when on a ground ball off the bat of sophomore Alec Ornelas to cut Maroon's lead to one.

A bases-loaded walk in the sixth brought home freshman Calvin Drake, trimming the lead to 4-2. Freshman Adam Aldred relieved Lehnert, pitching four innings of two-hit baseball while giving up only three runs.

Two more runs crossed the plate for the Maroon team in the seventh. Senior Tom Lally hit an RBI single followed by a walk that scored the go-ahead run.

After the Gold team went ahead 6-5 in the seventh, the Maroon squad scored two runs in the ninth inning to come from behind and capture the win.

With the conclusion of the Fall World Series, Jaksa said the team will get into their regular winter practice routine starting Monday. This gives the coaches an opportunity to work with players in preparation for the regular season.

“We have some guys that will work on stuff on their own, but we have an opportunity eight hours a week to work with them; so when we come back in January, we'll be ready for February,” Jaksa said.

CMU will begin its 2013 baseball season on Feb. 15 in Lafayette, La.