Softball shutout 5-0 in All-Star matchup Friday

feature
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Junior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg winds up for a pitch in a relief stint Friday afternoon against the National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars Back to School Tour made a stop at Margo Jonker Stadium Friday and beat Central Michigan 5-0.

The lineup, made up of players from the USSSA Pride, Carolina Diamonds, Chicago Bandits and Akron Racers, was shutdown by senior pitcher Kara Dornbos through the first three innings.

But, a run in the fourth inning and four in the fifth were more than enough for the NPF All-Stars to take the win.

“I just went out there and gave it my all,” Dornbos said. “They’re a great team and we just wanted to go out and have fun.”

Dornbos went four and 1/3 innings, allowing four earned runs on eight hits. She struck one batter out and recorded a walk.

Junior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg came on in relief of Dornbos and threw two and 2/3 innings, striking out two.

“It’s important for us to play well when we have the chance to play a professional team,” head coach Margo Jonker said. “It’s just fun, and other than that, no big deal.”

The NPF All-Stars tallied 11 hits on the day, led by first baseman Charlotte Morgan of the Pride, who went 3-for-4 with an RBI.

Shortstop Tammy Williams of the Bandits, and third baseman GiOnna DiSalvatore of the Diamonds went 2-for-3 with an RBI.

“It’s really exciting to get the opportunity to play a great team,” Dornbos said. “It only makes you better and it was a lot of fun."

CMU had four hits on the day.

Freshman third baseman Trista Cox got a hit in the first inning, finishing 1-for-2 on the day with a walk, while fellow freshman centerfielder Evelyn Lorimer hit a single in the fifth inning.

As for the veterans, junior designated hitter Raechel Zahrn went 1-for-1 on the day, while senior Brogan Darwin picked up a hit in the seventh inning while pinch hitting.

CMU will cap off its fall ball Oct. 27 when it hosts an alumni game at Margo Jonker Stadium.