Nate Williams happy with pro day workout; impresses in bench press

Nate Williams was all smiles after his performance at what he called "the biggest job interview of his life."

The New Haven native ran drills and worked out in front of scouts from over twenty professional organizations from both the CFL and NFL on Monday's pro day at the Indoor Athletic Complex.

“It was very important for me to be out here and just work hard," Williams said. "Show these teams what I can do on the field and in the gym."

Williams participated in the full bevy of drills, completing the standard 40-yard dash, long jump, broad jump and body measurements. Additionally, he ran drills with his teammates to show fluidity with his movements and form.

Williams was impressive on the bench press, putting up 34 repetitions of 225 pounds, the highest of any CMU athlete on the day. In fact, this number was only four fewer than the highest total put up at the NFL Combine last month. Drawing on his strengths in the weight room, Williams feels like, given the chance, he can compete for a roster spot and prove his worth to any team.

“I'm a hard worker, on the field and in the gym," Williams said. "I'm the type of guy who has a motor that just keeps going, and I think teams will see that.”

Williams has seen playing time on the field for the Chippewas in the past two seasons as part of the defensive line rotation and is listed as a defensive lineman. However, as is often the case, Williams is comfortable in other positions.

“I played defensive tackle here, but, in high school, I had played defensive end," Williams said. "So, I'm really at the point where I can comfortably play either position.”

Williams has done his part his fate now lies with the NFL scouts as he waits for what any other person when interviewing for a job waits for, a call.

“Now it's a waiting game," Williams said. "You could be just relaxing somewhere, and you'll get a call that will change your life. I hope I can get myself a call like that.”

If Williams does receive a call from a team, he'll have former teammates in either league to mentor him and give him the upper hand in knowing what to expect. Williams cites former Chippewas running back Carl Volny as one of his main mentors as he prepares for what will hopefully be a new chapter in his life.

Due to the pure amount of people trying to get to where he is going, Williams will have a tough road ahead of him.

Nobody knows that better than he does, but he also knows what he will be capable of if he gets his shot and is confident that he will be given a shot somewhere. Perhaps, in the end, that will be the deciding factor for him.