COLUMN: Going Greek

A year and a half ago, I made a deal with my sister to go through fall sorority recruitment.

She had done nothing but Greek life, and it drove me nuts. She even took me to a few events with her sorority sisters. And, while all of the girls I met were incredibly nice, funny and down to earth, I still had no plans or interest in going Greek.

Needless to say, I changed my mind after the first day of recruitment. This semester will be my third as a sister of the Phi Mu-Rho Delta chapter. And, with each semester as a Greek, I appreciate it more and more.

I was definitely a naysayer. I do admit to believing in a few of the stereotypes I'd heard about Greek life, but what I quickly came to understand was that just because one person fits the stereotype, that does not mean that everyone does.

The five days I spent going from sorority house to sorority house, I met a few girls that fit the stereotypes, but mostly found girls that didn't. I never expected to see girls cry over a video about their philanthropy because they were so passionate about it. I never expected to see girls of every size, shape and color in every sorority.

But, most of all, I never expected to make a connection simply by talking to someone for 10 minutes.

When you become a member of a sorority or fraternity, you're also becoming a member of a large community of people. Before you realize it, you're making connections with fellow Greeks in class, at work, or just around campus. We're a strong support system that continues to show a unity that is unfortunately unique when it comes to public and private universities.

Greek Week is a great example of this unity. While it's a healthy competition between organizations, it's also a way to unite the Greeks in fundraising. Last year, the Greek community raised more than $11,000 for an ill child in Mount Pleasant.

There are many stereotypes of Greek life that I hear people about every day. Even close friends still believe that when you join you're “buying your friends” or “all you're going to do is party." But it's all hogwash. It's a way to make connections, get involved and make a difference in the community.

If you're not particularly interested in Greek life, the only way to truly understand it is to experience firsthand. Four hundred or so words doesn't even scratch the surface of all the things I've experienced or what Greek life is about. I'd have to write a book in order to explain, and, even then, it's not the same as if you'd gone out yourself.

I'm not saying everyone should go Greek. It truly isn't for everyone. I'm just saying not to judge someone by their letters.