Flory emerging in strong returning receiving corps

Football fans will not see Cody Wilson cutting across the middle of the field next fall for the first time in four years.

Wilson has graduated from CMU, but coach Dan Enos already has a replacement in mind: the talented sophomore Andrew Flory, whom fans might remember from his performance in last season's bowl game.

“We've got to find a guy who can step up and make those catches in the middle of the field," Enos said. "It's been a major point of emphasis for us this spring, and Andrew has done a nice job responding to that.”

Flory made his mark on last season by showing up strongly in the last few games, namely the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, where he had 100-plus receiving yards and two touchdowns in the win.

This production was especially important during the absence of leading receivers Titus Davis and Courtney Williams to suspension. Now that the team has them back, Flory welcomes playing alongside those two.

“I'm going to have to take over Cody Wilson's role," Flory said. "Getting tough catches across the middle, big third-down conversions, and just, whenever they call my name, I'll be looking to make a big play."

Both Enos and Flory are confident that despite the fact that a quarterback has yet to be named the starter, the receivers and quarterbacks will still have great chemistry on the field. Enos chalks this up to the efforts of the coaching staff.

“I'm not worried about that (chemistry)," Enos said. "These guys have been taking so many repetitions on the field together, we've been good about getting them snaps together.”

Additionally, Flory feels that the receivers and quarterbacks have had a great spring together and that will show up on the field.

“We all do extra work together, and because of the pure number of reps we do together during practice, I have a good feel for each quarterback and they have a feel for me," Flory said.

One thing is certain: when the football team begins the season and picks a quarterback, Flory will have the chance to show that his breakout was not a fluke. Enos lent some support for Flory repeating his success.

“He is actually a guy that would've played as a true freshman, if not for the injury, but his breakout? No, that didn't really surprise us," Enos said. "We knew he had a lot of talent, and, given the opportunity, he would step up, and he did.”

Enos is confident that Flory will be just one more piece in a deep receiving corps.

“Between Andrew Flory, Courtney Williams, Jesse Kroll, Anthony Rice, Jerry Harris and Titus, we feel we've got a pretty deep receiving corps," Enos said. "So all of those guys will see time, but Flory has had a good spring, and we'll look to use him all over the field.”