Kappa Sigma continues to give to Special Olympics

Despite their recent formation on campus, Central Michigan University's Kappa Sigma Fraternity has made a strong impact in the community.

Kappa Sigma Fraternity raised $2,240 this semester for the Special Olympics with the annual Polar Plunge event in February.

Kappa Sigma has been working with the Special Olympics since the beginning of Kappa Sigma five years ago.

“As soon as we started Kappa Sigma, we kind of adopted it as our philanthropy event,” Bay City senior Trent Grzegorczyk said. “We have two events during the year. One is Miles for Medals, which is the homecoming 5k and this one in February was the Polar Plunge.”

For the Polar Plunge, members of the fraternity volunteered to jump into freezing cold water to support the Special Olympics.

“We think it’s a great thing just to give everybody an opportunity to compete,” Grzegorczyk said. “Especially the Special Olympic events that go on during the summertime, because the only way they can hold on those events is if we raise money for them.”

Grand Blanc junior Garret Tuohy, a member of Kappa Sigma and chairman also participated in the fundraising event because of his personal ties to the Special Olympics.

“It’s always important to me because it really hits home for me,” Tuohy said. “I have a little brother who’s a special needs child and just knowing that I can do my part for people just like him really makes me feel good as a person and I know that I’m helping them so that they can compete in the Special Olympics Games.”

Tuohy said he enjoys seeing the people at the Special Olympics in a happy mood when they dive into the water.

“When we’re out there and we’re dumped into the water, they get such a kick out of it,” Tuohy said. “Some even go in themselves.”

Freshman Brandon Wolok of Farmington Hills said the most important part about fundraising is actually donating it and seeing the gratification on people’s faces.

“Once you see the face or when you see people at the event really caring, stuff like that is the most important part and seeing who it’s going to; it’s nice,” Wolok said.