REVIEW: NBC's 'Dracula' a safe bet for Friday nights

b3-tvreview1

B3_TVReviewAs NBC tries to broaden its horizons, the new series "Dracula" leads the charge with an interesting twist on a well-known character.

In an attempt to balance their repertoire of comedies and reality programs, “Dracula,” along with the popular show “Grimm,” have helped NBC reach its goal.

This series offers a different take on the original Bram Stoker tale by featuring recognizable characters such as Van Helsing and Dracula, all while serving up an original plot.

“Tudors” alum Jonathon Rhys Meyers leads the cast as the title character.

Jessica De Gouw, who most recently played “The Huntress” on The CW series “Arrow,” stars as the love interest Mina Murray, who might be the reincarnated wife of Dracula.

The pilot episode finds Dracula awakening in London during the 1890s where he poses as American entrepreneur, Alexander Grayson.

The story watches Dracula climb the ranks of society in order to fulfill his alternate agenda, exacting revenge on his tormentors from centuries past.

“Dracula” is well-produced and the pilot episode lays out a clear story that is interesting but not too complex to follow.

The episode is occasionally slow, and the writing, while appealing, is at times lackluster. However, the story is interesting enough that the pace and writing can be improved with time.

NBC should have no trouble finding entertainment value with this series, as it is being produced by the same team behind “Downtown Abbey.”

The show gave enough blood spatter, mischief, lust and love to appeal to a wide range of viewers without putting anyone off.

Because of these diverse themes, "Dracula" should have no trouble reaching a large audience base.

NBC has already shown confidence in the show by ordering 10 episodes. If the show can find a continual audience, the network might have a safe show for seasons to come.

The series, as it is, will likely garner few awards. However, with good production value and solid acting, it has the potential to be a popular balance to NBC comedies like “Parks & Recreation” and “Community.”

“Dracula” might take a few episodes to find its feet, but if you like vampire stories, this could be the series for you.

Check the series out for yourself on Fridays at 10 p.m. on NBC.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.