LETTER: What Roe has really done

abortion-roes-legacy-webf-3-690x388

Recently, a letter was published in Central Michigan Life in response to Students for Life’s display, “What has Roe Done.”

The intent of this display was not to instill fear, but instead to inform by presenting a side of this issue that is often left unseen. Despite the common assertion that abortion is a “safe way to end pregnancy,” it has been repeatedly shown that abortion often comes with some very unpleasant side effects.

Claims that abortion is safe comes from the low mortality rate associated with this procedure. However, risk comes in many other forms, and it is our desire that women be informed about these possibilities before making such a major decision.

The display detailed many of these risks, including the increased risk of both suicide and breast cancer. All of the information is backed by credible and unbiased sources. Sources and information for this project can be found at whathasroedone.com.

We believe that all women have a right to this information and that they must have access to it in order to make an informed and healthy decision. We have no interest in scaring or shaming women, only in ensuring that they are given access to all the information and research.

Finally, our primary goal is not to make abortion illegal, but rather to promote a culture that values and supports life.

Because we have seen that abortion often harms women both physically and emotionally, we desire to see the number of abortions, and therefore the number of women at risk for potential side effects, diminished. Ideally, altogether eliminated.

That being said, the claim that criminalizing abortion would raise the mortality rate associated with abortion is simply untrue and instills unwarranted fear. If any student on campus has experienced negative effects of abortion, our RSO is committed to helping you find the help and resources you need to find healing.

Ana Lossing

Vice President, Students for Life