History, survival serve as themes for Mount Pleasant community events

Mid-Michigan is the place to be for people who want to learn new skills. History and survival are main focuses of events in Mount Pleasant for children, families and community members. The following events take place staring July 8:

July 8 -- Civil War Children's Activities

The Central Michigan University College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences is partnering with CMU's Museum of Culture and Natural History to teach children about the Civil War. Children from kindergarten to eighth grade will get the chance to dress in a Civil War uniform, train to use a musket and learn to march.

The event will be held at the Gerald R. Poor Museum, at the corner of Preston Street and West Campus Drive, from 10 a.m. to noon.

Prepaid reservations are needed and the cost is $2 per participant. Call the museum at 989-774-3829 to register.

July 8 -- Local historian to speak about Mount Pleasant 

Jack Westbrook, a local historian and author, will share his knowledge on Mount Pleasant at the Charles V. Park Library auditorium. The event starts at 7 p.m. on July 8.

Westbrook will discuss the role of the oil and gas industry during the Great Depression in the Mount Pleasant area.

The event is free and open to the public. There will be a reception in the Clarke Historical Library following the talk.

July 8-11 -- Survival 101 summer camp

The Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum will host two "Survival 101" camps for elementary school-aged children from July 8-11 and August 12-15.

The camps will teach the students how to survive in different elements, teaching basic skills such as how to make a fire, find shelter and make food. Participants will receive a T-shirt and snacks.

The cost of registration is $55 for museum members and $65 for non-members. For more information on the events or to register, call 989-317-3221.

August 4-Sept. 13 -- "From DNA to Beer: Harnessing Nature in Medicine and History" 

The National Library of Medicine has loaned an exhibit about microbes to Central Michigan University. The exhibit is meant to promote an understanding of the impact of the tiny organisms that effect our every day lives.

The exhibit will be on display from August 4 to September 13 on the third floor of the Charles V. Park Library. It is free and open to the public.