Mayor Tilmann to step down from commission after 20 years of service

When Mount Pleasant Mayor Sharon Tilmann announced she would be stepping down, her daughter joked it wouldn’t be the last they would see of her on the city commission, quipping that when Tillman died they would just stuff her body and put her up on the dias.

There may be some truth to the statement, morbid as it may seem. Tilmann has served on the city commission since 1994, starting when she was appointed to the Parks and Recreation Commission and the Planning Commission. Many commissioners can't remember a time without Tilmann present as a voice of guidance

Vice Mayor Jim Holton is among those individuals.

“I’m jealous she’s not running again,” he laughed. “I say that jokingly obviously, because she served the city for so many years that there will be a loss of her knowledge. She’s been here longer than anyone.”

Tilmann served Mount Pleasant as mayor twice in her career, once in 1998 and again this year. Under her leadership, the community has flourished, establishing itself on the foundation of economic stability. 

But after years of serving the city, Tilmann has found that it is time, for her own sake, to step down.

“It’s time I gave (myself) a break,” Tilmann said. “I found that if you’re someone who serves decade after decade, you get into a rut.”

Commissioner Rick Rautanen said he is certain even if Tilmann is not directly on the commission, she will still stay an active member of the community.

"I don’t see her retiring, packing up her bags and going to Florida,” Rautanen said. "If she sees something that piques her interests she’d have no problem picking up the phone and telling us how she feels.”

Holton said he felt the same.

“I guarantee you, If I do something wrong, she’ll be the first one calling.”

As for the future of the commission, Tilmann said she is leaving behind a group of people who only have the city's best interests at heart.

“I wouldn’t leave the commission at this point if I didn’t think it was in good hands,” Tilmann said. “I think it’s an excellent commission (that) has passion and is good at listening to the community and knows what it wants.”

Tilmann did say she could be back in the future for more time on the governing body.

“This is not a leave taking this is a break,” she said. “I want to take this first little bit (of time) to find out what retirement is really like.”

Tilmann’s final day as mayor is set for Dec. 31. Holton is expected to take her spot sometime in January, if re-elected to the commission.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →