Younger siblings take center stage during talent show

sibstalentshow

Siblings volunteer Kelsey Mckoy from Detroit, sings karaoke on Saturday, Jan. 31 in the UC lounge.

Belting the lyrics at the top of their lungs, two little girls bravely sang every word to “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” from the hit movie Frozen.

On Saturday during Siblings Weekend, the Bovee University Center Student Lounge Hosted a talent show from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

While the show started off slow, it picked up as soon as younger kids were encouraged by the volunteers.

Lake Orion freshman Taylor Brown, an entertainment committee member, said when no one was participating it was the committee's job to make sure someone was on stage, even if it was one of their own members. In order to get hype out of the small crowd, the committee performed a routine from High School Musical.

“We get kids involved,” Brown said. “We set up the stage for the talent show, got all the karaoke set up and try to keep the kids involved and enthusiastic by always making sure there’s someone up on stage.”

Brown said she immediately looked into getting involved with Siblings Weekend because she loves kids.

“Being able to get involved with the committee of Sibs Weekend and being able to get kids involved is a wonderful opportunity,” Brown said.

Saginaw junior Areail Wright brought both her little sister and cousin to participate in Siblings Weekend. During the show, the two sang the song “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith.

Wright was not expecting her family members to sing on stage in front of everyone.

“I was surprised,” Wright said. “I figured they would do something because she [her sister] dances so I thought she would dance, but I didn’t think they would sing.”

Wright’s sister, Amirah Burbank, and her cousin Aniya Webb are both nine years old and decided to go on stage at last minute.

“I was scared to go up on stage,” Burbank said. “But it was fun and I got used to it.”

Burbank said she was happy to spend time with her sister during the weekend, because now that Wright's in college she doesn’t get to see her that often.

Wright said Siblings Weekend is important because it give younger kids the opportunity to see a college campus.

“They’re more involved in the school so they can see what college looks like when they decide to go,” she said. “It’s a fun experience.”