New vice president transitions into larger SGA leadership role

chuck_and_mariah_sga
Student government association vice president Mariah Urueta, left, with president Chuck Mahone in 2014.

After four consecutive years of service to Central Michigan University, the only thing Student Government Association Vice President Mariah Urueta regrets is spending too much time caught up in the minutia of the organization and not enough time focusing on legislation.

“It’s really funny how our current student government is parallel to our actual U.S. government,” Urueta said. “I wish I could (have) changed the structure of (SGA) to make it run smoother. If we wanted to make any (campus wide) changes it would cause a big stir – and what if it doesn’t work – so (members of SGA) would just stick to their old ways.”

Going from serving as a senator to a House Leader and then Vice President, Urueta knows much about the ‘old ways’ of SGA.

Since joining her freshman year, Urueta has always been a force around campus, from president of CMU’s Take Back the Tap, a non-profit organization which advocates for banning the sale of bottled water on campus, to gaining a seat in the Senate by her second semester.

“We kept introducing (Take Back the Tap) and it would pass every time in the House but it would never in the Senate,” Urueta said. “So me and (about) eight other Take Back the Tap people ran for a Senate position and we got it and were able to pass our legislation.”

Her time spent as a senator would lead Urueta to meet SGA President Chuck Mahone.

“At the end of my sophomore year, Chuck was really pushing me to run for House Leader because he was running for Senate Leader,” Urueta said. “(It was) during my (time) as House Leader when Chuck asked me if I wanted to run with him for president and vice president.”

From there, the two would go on to run against Marie Reimers and Maggie Blackmer and win in the 2014 SGA Presidential Race.

Mahone, now running with Blackmer as his vice president for this year’s race, said after working with both women, no comparison should be drawn between the two of them, other than the fact that they are both strong leaders.

“Comparing Mariah and Maggie is like comparing apples to oranges,” Mahone said. “They are two totally different people who bring two different things to the table.”

Although he said he is sad to see Urueta go, Mahone is confident Blackmer can deliver the same amount of excellence to CMU’s campus that was previously enforced by the former vice president.

“Any of my weaknesses, (Maggie) will cover up, and vice versa,” Mahone said.

Unlike Urueta, Blackmer’s SGA experience did not start in the Senate, but rather as the Parliamentarian, a position in the House which answers any questions the House Leader may have. Moving from Parliamentarian to Executive Secretary in her freshman year, Blackmer was able to capitalize on her extensive knowledge of parliamentary procedure and quickly rise through the ranks of SGA.

"It was her knowledge, along with “similar leadership styles,” which lead Mahone to choose her as this year’s vice presidential candidate.

“It was actually two or three weeks before spring break that (Mahone) asked if I wanted to be his running mate, and without a doubt I said 'yes,'" Blackmer said. "After that we just delved right into what our plans (for running) would be.”

Though not as involved around campus with smaller groups as Urueta was, due to not serving as a Senator, Blackmer is a sister of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority. She said one of her many passions around campus includes giving back to the community.

“I am very passionate about our philanthropy,” Blackmer said. “Within SGA I have had positions that don't necessarily have projects to be working on, like when (I was) the Parliamentarian and Executive Secretary.”

Urueta has been meeting with Blackmer in order to prepare her for the job of vice president. Prior to the vice presidency, Blackemer says she has never received legacy notes for any of the positions she has taken and has had to learn her position as it went, something she is proud of.

Running uncontested this semester, Mahone and Blackmer said they will take this election as seriously as if they did have opponents and wish to prove to the student body they will not take their position lightly.

“(Chuck and I) have seven years of experience together that has really prepared us for the roles of president and vice president,” Blackmer said. “We have tangible items on our platform points that we can accomplish, and we know that we will accomplish.”

To vote for president and vice president of SGA, go to vote.cmich.edu. Voting begins March 30.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →