Skill it n' kill it

Women of Central Michigan Mayhem deliver brutal intensity during roller derby

img_3514

Members of the Central Michigan Mayhem high five a member of the Black Heart Maidens before their match March 21 at the Spinning Wheels Arena.

By day, they are students, teachers and mothers.

By night, the women of Central Michigan Mayhem, Mount Pleasant's roller derby team, embrace their alter egos for a brutal bout with another team from the state or Midwest.

The league was founded in 2010 as a way to bring women together in an atmosphere that promotes self-empowerment and individualism, as well as team unity.

Consisting of 26 members, the league includes four Central Michigan University students. The team has two coaches and a number of volunteer referees. The team is run and owned by the skaters who vote on all decisions made. 

One student never expected to be involved in roller derby, but since discovering the team, she's hooked.

"I was in On the Rox, and we sang the national anthem before a derby," said Wixom senior Melissa Anderson. "I knew I wanted to try it. If you want to come to the practice, they'll help you even if you're falling down on your skates."

Each team member has a derby nickname that encompasses her derby persona. "Dr. Potter," or Mount Pleasant resident Sara Potter, got her nickname from the way she approaches each bout.

"I approach it with precision, like a surgeon, so I put 'doctor' in front of my last name," she said. 

Other team nicknames include "Marilyn Monroller," "Sugar & Spikes" and "Getcha Pawz Off." Potter said coming up with your derby nickname is a big deal for each team member. 

One team member said her mom gave her the nickname, "Fitch Slap." After retiring from figure skating, 2013 alumna Andria Fitch still wanted to skate, and said she loves the camaraderie of roller derby. 

"We are all hitting each other during practice, but we all get along," Fitch said. "It's its own little community."

Fitch serves as one of the team's four "jammers." This team member will wear a star on her helmet, so the opposing team knows who to block. The rest of the team, the "blockers," have to try to block the opposing team's jammer from passing them to score points. Once the jammer breaks through the opposing team's blockers, she must make a full lap before being able to score points. 

The game is referred to as a "bout" and has two 30-minute periods.

In their game March 21 at Spinning Wheels Arena, Mayhem played against the Black Heart Maidens from Hastings as part of March Madness. Mayhem won the bout 202 to 177. 

Before beginning each bout, the team huddles up for their chant, in which they yell "mayhem" three times. Throughout the game, their motivation comes from a team saying, "skill it n' kill it."

"That means we practiced something over and over again," Potter said. "We always practice until we get it."

Because bouts can get ferocious, each team member must wear a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and a mouthguard. The players hip or butt check each other, sometimes leading to a derby girl landing in the lap of an audience member. For braver spectators, the front row of the audience is called "suicide seating." 

During the bout, the audience kept the team motivated with chants, yelling nicknames and clapping. Shepherd resident and team member Jessica Ryan, or "Dirty Island Girl," said part of the reason she has derby fever is the family atmosphere. She has been on the team for more than two years

"The team is like a second family," she said. "There's a close atmosphere, and the challenges (derby) gives you are a great feeling. Every bout is fun whether we win or lose." 

Central Michigan Mayhem is holding a 5K run/walk at 9 a.m. June 6 at 4658 East River Road. It is $15 to participate. 

For information on Central Michigan Mayhem, go to centralmirollerderby.com. Their next home bout is June 6 at Spinning Wheels Arena. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →