STEM scholar program to prepare teaching students for jobs

university

To increase readiness for the changing job market, a new scholarship program will be offered to freshmen students in the College of Education and Human Services. 

Twenty students will be given the opportunity to enroll in a science, technology, engineering and math program that will help them further their teaching careers.

Registration for the STEM Education Scholar program is open. Students can apply online through the College of Science and Technology. 

Julie Cunningham, coordinator of the STEM Scholar program, said this will provide students an edge when applying for jobs after college.

“STEM has become so important. We think it’s going to be very important to future students looking for a job,” Cunningham said. “We want to make sure our teachers are well prepared in STEM education so it’s sort of an extra push.”

The program is offered in conjunction with the College of Science and Technology. Students will take classes from both the CST and the CEHS. They will be placed within a cohort as they progress through the program. Not only will they be taking classes together, but they will live in the CEHS residence hall on the second floor of Sweeney Hall. 

“They’ll get things like priority registration and have extra opportunities to work with people on campus,” Cunningham said. “We will offer them extra experience with faculty members from technology and education. They might get some extra workshops and extra interactions with faculty that other students might not have.”

Cunningham said when word of the program gets out, it will help the college recruit more teachers who are interested in being more prepared in the STEM areas. This program won’t just help students, she said, but it will help faculty members as well.

“Faculty will have a chance to showcase ways in which they are already improving STEM education and they’ll get a chance to share that even more directly with students,” Cunningham said.

Betty Kirby, associate dean of the CEHS, said anytime they can offer students richer educational experiences it’s good for the students and the university.

“When students leave CMU and enter the teaching field with a STEM scholar foundation, they will be better prepared in terms of finding employment and in terms of educating youth,” Kirby said. “The better our reputation as a program and a university, the more likely others are to be interested in us.”

The STEM Scholar program combines leadership development, increased clinical teaching experiences and STEM enrichment activities to prepare future teachers for careers in elementary or secondary math and science.

“We have a growing demand for high skilled workers in STEM fields and currently are experiencing a significant shortage in these areas,” Kirby said. “College graduates in STEM fields can expect higher salaries and increased job opportunities.”