SGA Diversity Committee to redesign "We're a Culture Not a Costume" campaign

unnamed

Diversity Committee Head Shayna Haynes-Heard leads a discussion on the merits of changing direction with the "We're a Culture NOT a Costume" campaign on Sept. 28, 2015. 

In an effort to reach more students across campus, the Student Government Association's Diversity Committee plans to redesign its yearly "We're a Culture, NOT a Costume" campaign. 

With the new campaign "I am ___ not ___," SGA hopes to combat not just racial and cultural stereotypes, but stereotypes about gender and sexuality as well. This will debut in the weeks before Halloween as a public service announcement to inform students about the campaign and sway individuals from wearing offensive costumes.

"We want to attack the different stereotypes and I think making (the 'I am __ not __') statements is a very powerful way to say 'yes I do come from this particular group of people but that doesn't mean I am these stereotypes associated with it'," said Head of Diversity Committee, Shayna Haynes-Heard.

The aim of the old "We're A Culture, Not a Costume" was to educate students who use blackface, dress as racial stereotypes or mock cultures through their Halloween attire. This year, "I am___ not ___" hopes to include the issues of the old campaign, but broaden horizons to include costumes which may be perceived as offensive to the LGBTQ community.

A video announcement is set to be produced in the near future though a finalized date has not been decided upon. This video may take the place of fliers hung around campus, though having both is still being discussed by the committee. 

"(The committee) wants to do both but we are currently unsure about the vendor providing the poster as things aren't really finalized yet," Haynes-Heard said. 

The idea for a video, rather than fliers, came from SGA Press Secretary Kyle Cortez.

"We haven't talked about (a concrete idea) for the video. It is up to (Haynes-Heard's) committee," Cortez said. "I plan to help with the video with designing (once a plot is decided upon)."

The change to include gender and sexuality came about at the Sept. 28 Diversity Committee meeting in which certain members expressed how costumes of transgender celebrities such as Caitlyn Jenner can be just as offensive as racist costumes.

Many students view the campaign change as a positive thing.

"(The new campaign) is good because the LGBT community is often times easy to overlook compared to the more racial side of (Halloween dress-up) culture," said Petersberg sophomore, Jay Goodin. "It's all about being a respectful person. No one is trying to censor anything. It's just a good reminder that what you ware on Halloween, even as a joke, can send negative messages that some people really don't need at all."

Chuck Mahone, president of SGA, said the change in direction is a positive one and embodies what the organization stands for as a whole.

"We are an organization that represents all students. Sexuality is a big topic right now and it's an everyday reality for some students," Mahone said. "The 'Our Culture is NOT a Costume' campaign went very well. People recognize (the message) we're trying to get across when they see it, but I think it's time for us to progress. This is is an area we can progress and represent more students."

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →