Dreaming of Citizenship

A photo story from the Fences: Faces of Migration Photojournalism Workshop

briannahughes012
Han stares out of the window at Dreamer Coffee Shop. He isn

Tianyu Han, or "Ike," is originally from the Hebei Province in Northern China, and is now enrolled as a grad student at Central Michigan University as he obtains a degree in General Administration. “I’m here for education, not for just fun,” said Han.

While at the university, Han found a way to impact Mount Pleasant in an exciting way. Last October he opened The Dreamer Coffee Shop, located on the end of South Franklin and East Bellows Streets in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

“I wanted to start a coffee shop in America because in China, we don’t drink coffee like Americans," said Han. “I searched many [coffee] producers until I found MadCap in Grand Rapids Michigan. They have the best coffee in the state.” Han even sends his baristas to MadCap for training.

Han has wants to stay in the Unites States and apply for his citizenship. One of the ways he is able to receive a green card is through an investment of at least $500,000 in a commercial enterprise. Han is unsure if he will be able to do this, but he plans on trying. 

He also works for Central Michigan University’s Athletic Department as a staff photographer. If he does not meet the quota for the investment, his other option is for the athletics department to offer him a full-time job after he graduates, giving him a work visa.

“I’m not sure if the shop will make enough money. I just hope for a job after I graduate,” said Han. “Most international students have trouble with jobs after they graduate.”

Unfortunately, Han has been discriminated upon because of his race. Han has witnessed customers leave his shop as soon as they see that there is an Asian working behind the counter. He doesn't want to risk losing business because of his racial background. When Han feels as if there might be tension with a customer, he removes himself from the situation by going to the back room and waiting for the customer to leave. "I want my customers to know I appreciate their service," said Han.

Even with the racism Han faces, he still longs to obtain his citizenship. Han has learned American culture by watching movies and TV shows deemed acceptable to the Chinese government. “I’ve watched Star WarsTitanic and Friends to learn about America,” said Han.

“I still don’t know what’s going to happen after I graduate, I’d like to stay here in America.”

Photos and Story by Brianna Hughes