Middle of the Mitt to host more than 30 craft breweries

Craft beer from more than 30 different Michigan breweries will be flowing at the fourth annual Middle of the Mitt Spring Fling craft brew festival on April 30 at Hunter's Ale House.

The craft beer festival is changing its location from Wayside/O'kelley's Sports Bar & Grill to Hunter's Ale House this year, partly because it offers more options for the live music line-up that will play at the event, said co-owner of Hunter's Ale House, John Hunter. The new location is also conveniently located next to the four-month-old Hunter's Handmade Brewery — a micro brew pub connected to Hunter's Ale House. The brewery is home to Central Michigan University's fermentation science program.

Beer brewed by students in the program will be available for sampling at the festival.

The outside portion of the festival will take place from 1 to 10 p.m. Sampling tokens can be bought at the tent entrance in different price packages. Most beer can be sampled for one token, and 15 tokens can be purchased for $30. Tokens can also be purchased in advance online.

"The atmosphere is easy-going," Hunter said. "It's an event with true appreciation of the local community of Mount Pleasant."

Brewery representatives will be present, as well as employees of the ale house, like Hunter, who can answer any questions festival-goers might have about different craft beer at the festival.

Local breweries at the event will include Hunter's Ale House, Hunter's Handmade Brewery, Crankers Brewery, Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company and Mountain Town Station Brewing Company.

"Something that makes this festival unique is the heaving emphasis on music," Hunter said.

Live music will include High Pilot at 2:30 p.m. at the inside stage, EaST at 3:30 p.m. at the outside stage, Big Sherb at 4:30 p.m. at the inside stage, Paddlebots at 5:30 p.m. at the outside stage, ETCETERAS at 7 p.m. at the inside stage, Mark Daisy Music at 8:30 p.m. at the outside stage and Jedi Mind Trip at 10 p.m. at the outside stage.

Hunter said live art would also be part of the entertainment.

Craft breweries outside of Mount Pleasant that will be at the festival include Short's Brewery, Founder's, New Holland, Odd Side Ales, Greenbush and Rochester Mills.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →