Law Enforcement Torch Run to relay Flame of Hope from Lansing to Mount Pleasant on Thursday

Symbolizing Prometheus stealing fire from the Greek god Zeus, Olympic games cannot begin without the lighting of a ceremonial torch.

To signify the beginning of the 2016 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games, more than 50 Michigan law enforcement and correction officers will assist in lighting the "Flame of Hope" on Thursday, according to a SOMI press release.

The torch will be run, with police escort, nine hours up U.S. 127 from the Capitol steps in Lansing to Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant.

"We appreciate our Law Enforcement Torch Run support immensely," said SOMI President and CEO Lois Arnold in a release. "The money raised has an amazing and positive impact on the lives of our athletes and their families."

The Law Enforcement Torch Run begins at 10 a.m. Thursday. The torch will be transported relay-style, arriving for the summer games opening ceremony at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday.

SOMI athlete Tasheaka Wilson from Area 8, Eaton and Ingham Counties, will be escorted by Lt. Kevin Sweeney when she lights the Flame of Hope.

More than 30 Law Enforcement Torch Run volunteers will help carry the flame along the 70-mile trek from Lansing to Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

According to the release, representatives from Michigan State Police, Michigan Department of Corrections, Department of Natural Resources, Fraternal Order of Police, Michigan Sheriff’s Association, Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police and Lansing Police Department will speak at the Capitol about their organization's continued support of the Torch Run and SOMI.

In addition to the Torch Run, the Law Enforcement Touch Run organization hosts year-round events such as the Polar Plunge and "Cops and Lobsters" to generate funds and awareness for Special Olympic participants. The money raised by the group supports sports training and competition for individuals with intellectual disabilities in Michigan.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →