Pelafas scores twice as soccer beats Massachusetts 3-1

Chippewas' 7-0 start matches best in program history

Central Michigan women's soccer gets pumped up for their game on Oct. 23, 2015 at Bennett Soccer Field

With the return of sophomore striker Alexis Pelafas, Central Michigan soccer defeated Massachusetts 3-1 to move its record to 7-0 for the first time since 2006.

Heading into Sunday’s contest, the Chippewas had already matched their 2015 win total of six.

“I’m really proud of the team," said head coach Peter McGahey. "I think they did a good job bouncing back from an emotional game on Friday. I thought our resilience and pride was very good and special on the day.”

After scoring once in the third minute of the game, Pelafas, who sat out during Friday’s win at Dartmouth, delivered once again in the 68th minute from eight yards out to give CMU a 3-1 lead. 

Pelafas is the sole leader in the NCAA with nine goals. She has scored in every game she's appeared in this season — scoring twice in three separate games.

“I thought she did a really good job on both of her goals,” McGahey said. "It takes a team effort and I think Rademacher and Eliza (Van De Kerkhove) were really good on one of the goals and the ball that Potts played on the second one was a special pass.”

Junior Meghan Sweeney came off the bench and scored a goal of her own in the 32nd minute off a rebound from a shot by junior McKay Matheson. It was Sweeney’s first goal of the season.

Senior goaltender Kristen Knutson handled the rest for the Chippewas. The Minnesota transfer had six saves on seven shots on goal.

In 607 minutes played this season, Knutson has only allowed three goals and has a .905 save percentage versus a .035 goals per game average.  

“I think it all starts in practice,” McGahey said. “The pride that Kristen and the defense have is certainly growing and we’ve certainly relied on it thus far in the season.”

The Chippewas now have a week off before they play their first home game since Aug. 28 against Oakland University. 

McGahey said the team is excited to come back to the CMU Soccer complex.

“It’s always good to be back in front of the home crowd and have the Chippewa faithful cheer us loud and proud,” he said. “We’ll be glad to be back on campus.”