Program Board Update: Pinterest party, comedian headline next week's events

Program Board announced Wednesday it is seeking applications from members to travel with the executive board to the National Association for Campus Activities Mid-America Regional Conference. The conference takes place Oct. 27-30 in Covington, Kentucky.

NACA brings together students from various colleges across the country to scout talent for their respective schools. The theme for the conference is "NACAFit: Mind, Body, School Spirit."

Members interested in attending can fill out an application on OrgSync. Forms are due at 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 9.

Angie Distelrath, Program Board executive director, said the Office of Student Activities and Involvement is allowing the conference to be an all-expense paid for Program Board and other organizations such as Leadership Safari.

“We see NACA as a professional development opportunity where (our board members) can go, make these networks and collaborations and see what we go through as an e-board," Distelrath said. "It’s kind of seeing where their transitioning stage goes into being on e-board next week.”

Program Board is also hosting a Central Michigan University Pride Pinterest Party from 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 10 in the Bovee University Center Terrace Rooms. Students will have an opportunity to make CMU crafts for free. Distelrath said all craft supplies will be provided at the event.

“We like to create opportunities not only to make crafts but to also do it with friends and listen to music," she said. "It’s a really chill couple of hours that we’re in the Terrace.”

Program Board is presenting comedian Adam Mamawala at 7 p.m. Oct. 11 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. The event is free and open to the public.

Mamawala was named in Funny or Die's "Top 30 Under 30: Comedians to Watch." The 29-year-old comedian has also been featured on MTV's "Girl Code" and was a freelance contributor to the Weekend Update Segment of "Saturday Night Live."

Distelrath said the goal is to bring in smaller scale acts to balance the group's budget and keep students entertained.

“We try to bring a larger scale event like the Back to School Comedy Jam (from early September), but we also try to bring in a couple smaller acts, who maybe aren’t as necessarily well-known but are really great at bringing in the crowd and putting on a good show," she said.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →