Jonker takes home another MAC coach of the year honor

jab_6846
Head Coach Margo Jonker heads to third base to coach runners on Mar. 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

While the Central Michigan softball team didn't have its ideal finish, a number of Chippewas have still received awards.

Head coach Margo Jonker can be added to that list.

Jonker, who has been with the CMU softball program for 38 years, is now an 11-time Mid-American Conference Coach of the year, which is a conference best. The first time she won this award was during her fourth season as head coach in 1983.

Jonker's 11th MAC Coach of the Year award comes after the Chippewas won the MAC regular season championship, going 37-15 overall and 18-5 in conference play.

Those 37 wins added to a grand total of 1,224 wins for Jonker as CMU’s head coach. She is the sixth active Division I coach to have over 1,200 wins and the 13th coach to reach that mark in Division I history.

CMU stumbled in the MAC Tournament after falling to Western Michigan in the first round. The Chippewas knocked out Ball State to stay alive in the tournament, but they were eliminated from contention when Northern Illinois defeated CMU in the following round.

The Chippewas will lose four players to graduation, including star pitcher Rachael Knapp, but will return most of their starters.