CMU medical student to speak about experience in children's hospitals

19293_logot

Fourth-year medical student Nick Cozzi will share his experiences working in three pediatric oncology departments at 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 11 in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium. 

The event is sponsored by the College of Business Administration, the Health Professions Residential College and St. Jude Up ‘til Dawn. A registered student organization at Central Michigan University, St. Jude Up ‘til Dawn aims to raise awareness and funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. 

Cozzi’s speech, “Experiences in Pediatric Oncology: Observations of Hope and Resilience,” is meant to raise awareness for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. 

Karen Arthur, director of Student Services in the College of Business Administration and advisor for St. Jude Up ‘til Dawn, said the audience will have the opportunity to start their own fundraising page or make a donation, but it is not required.

Arthur said students have raised almost $20,000 since April 2017. This year's goal is $32,000.  

“Anyone in pre-med, pre-(physical therapy), child development or even education should go," Arthur said. "St. Jude has teachers for the patients who are there for extended periods of time.”

Cozzi offered to speak to students about his experience working at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Arthur said. She encouraged students interested in health care or child development to attend the event.

Up ‘til Dawn is scheduled for Feb. 16. Students who raise $100 on their fundraising page will receive a free T-Shirt and an invitation to the event.