Farmers' market season kicked off on June 7

With a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, flowers, and baked goods, vendors and patrons alike gathered together for the first farmers' market of the summer season on June 7 at Island Park.

Every year, Mount Pleasant hosts two markets a week, starting in early June and ending in October.

The market is meant to be an opportunity for residents and visitors to shop and interact with community farmers and local food producers. It offers healthier lifestyle and eating choices, while also strengthening the local economy. 

“Every market I come to is always a little different than the last one, but there is always good stuff each time,”  Amber Newsham, a Bay City local said.

Mount Pleasant recreation coordinator and market manager, Carol Moody, describes the market as a festive and lively place.

“Its more than just going to a grocery store,” said Moody. “Its nice being able to talk to the person that grew your food, so you know exactly where your food is coming from.”

This year, there will be 22 Thursday markets and 16 Saturday markets. 

Saturday markets begin June ­­30 and are relocating to Michigan and Main St. Saturday markets begin at 9 a.m. and end at 2 p.m., while Thursday markets begin at 7:30 a.m. and end at 2 p.m.

In total, there are 48 registered vendors for the Thursday markets and 9 for the Saturday market. 

One of the vendors, Haley Stout, owner of BarFly Bake Shop, said she has been baking gluten free goodies for about two years

“One of the best parts about the market is being able to talk to people,” said Stout. “Every time I set up, I always see new and old faces and its always exciting to see how they will like the treats I’ve made.” 

While the inside of the pavilion was lined with veggies, fruits, and many more delicious treats, outside the pavilion was live music, wine tasting, and food trucks.

For more information about the farmers' markets or how to become a vendor, visit http://www.mt-pleasant.org/departments/division_of_community_services/parks_and_recreation/recreation/farmers_market.asp