PRIMARY ELECTION: Three Democrats fight for chance to take State House seat in November

Democrats Kristen Brown, Randall Doyle and Allison Quast-Lents fight to challenge State House Rep. Hauck in November

cm-life

Three Democrats are competing for the chance to challenge State House Rep. Roger Hauck in the Nov. 6 general election. 

Kristen Brown has a Bachelor of Arts in political science/pre-law degree from Michigan State University. She earned her Juris Doctor from Detroit College of Law. Brown has worked as a lawyer for 23 years. 

Her major endorsements include the Michigan Association for Justice and the Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights.

She hopes to promote policy strengthening infrastructure and small business. That includes ending tax breaks for corporations. Brown also wants to improve education from pre-kindergarten to the university level. 

“We must support our teachers and get back to properly funding our education and vocational training programs. I support increased funding from pre-K through universities so that our kids have the best chance to succeed,” her website states. “Teachers must be provided the resources they need to educate our children.”

For more information about Kristen Brown visit her Facebook page.

Randall Doyle served in the U.S. Navy for four years and received his PhD from the University of Idaho. After college Doyle worked as a staff assistant, special assistant and congressional fellow in the U.S. House of Representatives. 

He wants to prioritize changing the dialogue in the district and improving education. 

“Education, roads and jobs. I believe are all linked together. I don’t believe that this state of Michigan, including the 99th district can move forward and regain the economic prominence we had a decade ago until we really start to look at the issues honestly and make proper investments…” he stated in aLeague of Women Voters candidate questionnaire.

For information about Doyle visit his Facebook page. 

Mount Pleasant Mayor Allison Quast-Lents attended Michigan State University before becoming a long-term substitute teacher. Before that she managed her family business, Motorless Motion and served as a city commissioner.

With her campaign, Quast-Lents is prioritizing Michigan workers, local economies, access to internet and education reform.

“As State Representative, Allison will fight for both students and teachers," said Quast-Lents’ campaign manager, Grace VanDeMark. "She knows that our schools need more resources, including more school counselors, teachers, and money for supplies and updated learning materials. She will fight to ensure that Michigan schools are safe, so that students aren’t afraid in the classroom. She will fight to ensure a bright future for all of Michigan’s students."

Several politicians have also endorsed her campaign, including Minority Floor Leader and State Rep. Christine Greig. Some of her endorsements include the Michigan chapter of the American Federation of Teachers, the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations and Michigan Association for Justice.

For more information about Quast-Lents visit her website.

The winner of the Democratic primary election will face Hauck, who was elected to the State House in 2016 after serving as a Union Township trustee.

While in office, Hauck wants to fix “three main issues. Taxation, regulation and education.”

For more information about Hauck visit his website