University announces speakers for December commencement ceremonies

commencement-may

Graduates hold their diplomas on May 6 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan University announced Oct. 29 who will speak at each of three commencement ceremonies for summer and fall graduates on Dec. 15.

Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer at U.S. Cellular Corp. Deirdre Drake will speak at the 9 a.m. ceremony. Drake graduated from CMU with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in 1989. She received a Master in Business Administration in 2000 from Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. Drake will receive an honorary doctorate of commercial science.

Janice Fialka is an award-winning social worker, author and speaker. An advocate for disabilities and inclusion, Fialka will speak at the 1:30 p.m. ceremony. She has written books and poems about raising children with disabilities. Fialka received a degree in sociology in 1973 at CMU. She will receive an honorary doctor of letters degree.

Daniel Edson, president of the American Proficiency Institute in Traverse City, will speak at the 5:30 p.m. ceremony. Edson received a bachelor’s degree in biology from CMU in 1973 and received a Master of Science in Microbiology from Michigan State University. In 1991, Edson founded the American Proficiency Institute, which is a nationally recognized service that assesses the accuracy of laboratory tests in hospitals and clinics. Edson will receive an honorary doctor of science degree.

Fall 2018 commencement ceremonies will take place Saturday, Dec. 15 in McGuirk Arena.