Female faculty discuss importance of diversity and representation for women in STEM

CMU faculty members described micro-aggressions they have experienced as women in STEM

dsc-2453-1

Six female members of Central Michigan University’s faculty speak about their experiences in various fields of STEM on Nov. 8 in Anspach 162

"You’re too pretty.” “Can you get me a coffee?” “Will you take notes?” “Are you sure?” 

These are a few examples of what female members of Central Michigan University’s STEM faculty referred to as “micro-aggressive” comments. They talked about micro-aggressions and discrimination that women in science, technology, engineering and math experience during a panel discussion Nov. 8 in Anspach 162. 

Professors used the term, "micro-aggressive" to describe comments others say with a double-meaning, usually meant as stereotypes or put-downs. 

The Society for Women in STEM hosted the panel, which featured six female STEM faculty members who spoke about their experiences and gave advice to those in attendance.

The difference in treatment of men and women can be small, but however minute these differences are, they can speak volumes. 

“My husband is also a professor here, and CMU sends us mail and addresses him as ‘Dr.' and me as ‘Miss,’ despite me having a Ph.D.,” physics faculty member Veronica Barone said. 

Despite having different experiences, all professors agreed that diversity and representation of not just different genders, but different races, ethnicities, religions and backgrounds is crucial in STEM. 

“These (diverse) groups tend to be more successful and reach a broader audience,” geography & environmental studies faculty member Stacey Kerr said.

The way Kerr sees it, an increase in diversity benefits everyone. “A rising tide lifts all boats,” she said.

The current underrepresentation of women in STEM isn’t due to a lack of interest amongst women. 

“Retaining women in these fields isn’t the problem. Keeping women in STEM is the issue," chemistry and biochemistry faculty member Janice Tomasik said. 

Redford senior Renee Renauer believes one of the reasons so many women pick up STEM degrees, but stop fully pursuing their careers is because of family. 

“(Women) feel the need of keeping the family together,” Renauer said. 

Professors offered possible solutions and advice for those interested in pursuing careers in STEM.  

Kerr said one of the best things to do when going into STEM is to be informed. 

"Know when you are job-searching what are the wages of the company you're going into," Kerr said. She encourages women to not be afraid to counter first offers. 

"Apply for promotions," computer science faculty member Lisa Gandy said. Despite the times Gandy felt too inexperienced to apply for grants, she did it anyway and didn't let her fears dissuade her.  

"Don't give up. Don't forget your goals," biology faculty member Michelle Steinhilb said. However, she understands that goals can sometimes change, and it's important to go with your gut.