Holiday Inn celebrates grand opening after 'soft opening'

The Mount Pleasant Holiday Inn & Suites officially opened its doors to the public with a ceremonial ribbon cutting on Wednesday night. 

The Holiday Inn introduces 130 new rooms to the market, providing more space for Central Michigan University families to stay during big event weekends like homecoming. 

The hotel, located at 5278 Pickard Rd, has been allowing guests over the past 11 weeks, when it first opened Nov. 12, 2018. This event was a ceremonial celebration of the new modernized Holiday Inn model. 

“Like any project new project, we wanted to open softly,” said General Manager Rick Rautanen. “We took the time to work out all the kinks and make any last-minute adjustments before cutting the ribbon.” 

Holiday Inn has been in business since the early 1950s serving many generations of travelers. However, Rantanen refers to this hotel as “not your father's Holiday Inn.”  

The rooms have received a drastic modern upgrade with USB ports beside each bed and electrical socket with enough room to charge five devices at the same time. Guests also have access to various T.V. stations including movie channels like HBO. Each room also features space saving closets, fully lit mirrors, and extra deep bathtubs. Additionally, the hotel provides a swimming pool and 24-hour fitness room. 

The full-service hotel does not offer guests a complimentary breakfast but rather an around-the-clock restaurant called Toast to Toast.  

“The new menu features delicious breakfasts, sandwiches, salads, and hearty meals to go along with premium coffee and espresso in the mornings or some exciting beer selections on tap in the evenings,” said the hotel’s website. 

“This a prototype of this type of hotel,” said staff member Jim Humpal. “This is the first model in the country” 

Guests of the ribbon cutting ceremony participated in games and raffles and were served food and drinks by the Toast to Toast staff. The ceremony opened with members of the local Saginaw Chippewa Tribe performing a drum and song ritual with management executives delivering short addresses afterwards. 

“When families and friends come to stay with us, they can expect the newest, cleanest, and best-appointed hotels in the community.” said sales director Chris Wakeman. “As well as all the comforts you could ever expect from a Holiday Inn.”