CMU student uses experience to help Alzheimer's patients

abby

Macomb sophomore Abby Meesseman is a nursing assistant at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital. (Courtesy Photo)

Macomb sophomore Abby Meesseman's participation in Alzheimer's Foundation of America has helped her immensely in her day to day duties at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital.

Meesseman is the president of AFA at CMU and a nursing assistant at the hospital. She treats people with Alzheimer's disease frequently at her job.

"At the hospital, I see people with Alzheimer’s all the time," Meesseman said. "Being in AFA and hearing speakers talk about how to work with people with Alzheimer’s and give simple tips on things you can do to help them be more comfortable has really helped me in my job.” 

AFA is a provider of resources for people who are affected by Alzheimer's disease. If someone has a family member suffering from Alzheimer’s or just wants to learn more about the condition, AFA provides support and resources. 

Alzheimer's Disease is a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. Fifty percent of adults age 85 and older have Alzheimer’s. There are over 16 million American caregivers for someone with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia, yet there are still an estimated 800,000 Americans with the disease who are living alone.

“I first joined AFA because I was pre-health and I wanted to get experience volunteering and learning more about Alzheimer's,” said Meesseman.

Mount Pleasant has a very large elderly population. Every month, AFA volunteers at Crestwood Village Assisted Living. AFA also visits the local nursing home The Laurels of Mount Pleasant and hosts bingo every Saturday.

AFA is open to anyone who would like to learn more about Alzheimer’s, or would like an opportunity to give back to the elderly community in Mount Pleasant.

AFA is hosting a memory screening for elderly citizens in Mount Pleasant on Nov. 9. Professionals will be available to give memory screening tests to the elderly to spread awareness of Alzheimer’s.

AFA meets 8 p.m. every other Tuesday starting Sept. 3 in Anspach 156. Anybody that is interested in joining or has any questions can contact Abby Meesseeman at meess1ap@cmich.edu.