Micaela Kelly earns fifth Player of the Week honor

wbb-jan-11-3

Junior guard Micaela Kelly is introduced before Central Michigan's game against Miami (Ohio) on Jan. 11 in McGuirk Arena. 

Junior guard Micaela Kelly is once again the Player of the Week in the Mid-American Conference West Division. It is the fifth time she has earned this honor during the 2019-2020 season. 

In the Chippewas' two contests last week, Kelly scored a total of 48 points. She scored a game-high 29 points in Wednesday night's win over Eastern Michigan and added 19 in Saturday's triumph over Toledo. 

Kelly had a double-double in Saturday's win over the Rockets, pulling down 11 rebounds in addition to her 19 points. Of her 11 rebounds, five came on the offensive glass. It was her first double-double of the season. 

She was able to have this success despite shooting just 6 of 20 from the field. 

"When my shot's not falling I have to keep myself up," she said. "(I) look for other ways to put points on the board. Passing to my teammates, attacking to kick and staying composed. I may get frustrated at times, but I trust my teammates."

Kelly has averaged 23.9 points per game this season, a number that ranks second throughout country. She's also averaging 5.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game. The Detroit native has been a driving force in the Chippewas' undefeated start to conference play.

Ohio's Erica Johnson took the honor in the East Division. Johnson combined for 54 points in wins over Northern Illinois and Bowling Green last week. Johnson scored a career-high 32 points on 7-of-11 shooting against the Huskies on Wednesday and 22 points against the Falcons on Saturday. 

On the season, the Chippewas are 14-4 and 7-0 in conference play. They next take the court at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Buffalo.