Chippewas score 66 in second half to earn double digit victory over Miami (Ohio)

wbb-jan-11-11-1

Central Michigan guard MacKenna Kelly drives the ball toward the basket against Miami on Jan. 11 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan found itself in a 13-2 hole early in the opening quarter. Miami (Ohio) forward Savannah Kluesner scored six early points, leaving the Chippewas reeling out of the gates. 

However, senior forward Gabi Bird hit three free throws to ignite the Chippewas, and the first quarter ended with the RedHawk lead down to six points. The two teams went back and forth and by halftime, the Chippewas and RedHawks were tied at 33 apiece following two free throws from sophomore guard Sophia Karasinski. 

Central Michigan outscored the RedHawks 66-54 in the second half to earn its 11th-straight victory and remain undefeated in Mid-American Conference play. 

Faced with early struggles, the Chippewas (18-4, 11-0) used solid 3-point shooting and an exceptional bench effort to down Miami (11-12, 4-7), 99-87, Saturday afternoon at Millett Hall in Oxford, Ohio. 

Bird scored a career-high 24 points, tying her for the team-high with Micaela Kelly. Bird also grabbed five rebounds. Kelly added six boards of her own to go with nine assists. 

Karasinski also contributed a career-high performance, scoring 13 points on a perfect 4-of-4 shooting effort. Senior forward MacKenna Kelly scored four points and grabbed eight rebounds off the bench. Both junior guard Maddy Watters and freshman guard Molly Davis scored in double figures as well with 11 and 10, respectively.

After Miami regained the lead early in the third, Bird knocked down a triple to tie the game at 41. Chippewa coach Heather Oesterle elected to go with a five-guard lineup, inserting Karasinski for junior forward Kyra Bussell with the RedHawks leading by three. 

Karasinski connected on her first triple of the season to tie the game at 48, with Micaela Kelly and Bird each hitting one of their own to push the CMU lead to six. After a jump shot by Miami's Lauren Dickerson, Karasinski knocked down a second triple to push the Chippewa lead to seven. Bird and Karasinski each hit another 3-pointer, and Central Michigan's lead swelled to 14 heading into the fourth. 

The RedHawks would get the game as close as six points in the final quarter, however, clutch free throw shooting from both Micaela and MacKenna Kelly as well as Watters and Davis helped seal the victory for the Chippewas. 

Kluesner led Miami with a game-high 35 points and she grabbed eight rebounds. Dickerson scored 16 points and had 12 assists to finish with a double-double. 

The Chippewas completed the season sweep of the RedHawks after winning 76-70 on Jan. 11 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan will have a week off before it hosts Bowling Green at 1 p.m. Saturday in McGuirk Arena. Saturday's meeting between the Chippewas and Falcons will be the only meeting of the regular season.