Molly Davis wins first career MAC West Player of the Week award

molly-davis-jan-25-1
Central Michigan guard Molly Davis jumps to pass the ball back to the three point line against Toledo Jan. 26 at McGuirk Arena.

For the first time in her career, freshman guard Molly Davis has been named Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week. 

Davis earned the award after posting a combined 51 points in the Chippewas’ two wins over the past week. 

In a double-overtime victory over Buffalo, Davis tied her career-high with 28 points to give her team a 98-93 victory. Saturday saw Davis post 23 in a 92-90 overtime win over Ohio. 

“Molly Davis, that kid is wise beyond her years,” Central Michigan coach Heather Oesterle said. “Her basketball IQ is off the charts.” 

On the season, Davis is averaging 14.5 points, second to Buffalo’s Dyashia Fair among MAC freshmen. Her 4.2 assists per game ranks first among freshmen and fourth overall in the conference. Davis has started each of the Chippewas 20 games and has played a key role in their 9-0 start to conference play.

She's shooting 53 percent overall and 42 percent from beyond the arc on the season. The 53 percent mark ranks second in the conference while the 42 percent clip ranks third.  

Davis and the Chippewas next take the court at 7 p.m. Wednesday inside McGuirk Arena, taking on Northern Illinois.