More study rooms available during the Fall 2020 semester

The Moore Hall 110 classroom, which is now a dedicated quiet study location, sits idle on Sept. 16.

With some of the changes the Fall 2020 semester has brought, Provost Mary Schutten realized that students might be in a bind if they had to quickly switch between online to in-person classes. 

“Students could potentially be in a position of having an online course immediately following a face-to-face course," said Jon Humiston, acting director of academic space and remodeling. "Ten minutes may not be enough time to physically get from the student’s classroom to the library, get settled and logged into their online course."

To accommodate those students, Central Michigan University is now offering empty classrooms in various buildings across campus for students to use as study spaces.

Bath junior Lori Cook said she uses some of these spaces to avoid distractions while completing assignments.

“I think these rooms are really beneficial since they provide a distraction free environment to do schoolwork," Cook said. "They’re great for when you’re doing an online class but don’t have a quiet place to go to like a dorm.”

There are rules for using study classrooms including social distancing, not exceeding room capacity, wearing face masks and headphones and cleaning with the provided products. 

“The administration strives to be student-focused, and this is one way to show support our students during this pandemic," Humiston said.

A full classroom availability sheet with buildings, room numbers and availability is available on the CMU website.