COLUMN: Legends of the Dark continues to thrive amid COVID-19 fears

untitled-0277
A volunteer for Legends of the Dark tour stands in the grass Oct. 29 outside Ronan Hall.

Screams and laughter flooded the crisp night air as passionate volunteers led excited tour groups through Central Michigan University's campus.

I went on the Legends of the Dark haunted tour the first night, ready to be scared and hear the thrilling stories. The adventure, put on by CMU's Office of Student Activities and Involvement, is a yearly tradition which aims to bring a little extra excitement to Halloween. 

This year marks their 25th annual occurrence.

The tours began at 7:30, I arrived with two friends for our prescheduled tour after 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 29.

Students wait for the Legends of the Dark tour to begin Oct. 29 outside the Bovee University Center.

The tour begins with one guide, enthusiastic to take each group on a classic CMU campus tour. Then, volunteers dressed in costume burst forward out of the shadows, chasing off your original guide, and taking over the tour for their own ghastly purposes. It was both a frightening and thrilling experience.

After seizing your tour, tour guides lead groups through North Campus to endure fright after fright, and legend after legend. 

Due to COVID-19, Legends of the Dark is very different this year. The free event limits tour groups to no more than five, and requires all participants, volunteers and staff to wear masks, Assistant Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Molly Schuneman said

I did not feel in danger of being exposed to COVID at any time throughout the event. All kept their masks on, and groups never consisted of more than ten people with storytellers and scarers included. At the end of the tour, every participant was offered free hand sanitizer, bringing a bit of humor to current events. 

Legends of the Dark is possible with the help of volunteers who guide, scare, and perform. Previous years' students were excited for the opportunity to volunteer again in light of COVID regulations.

"My favorite part about it is the scarers," said Greenville sophomore Alli Fisher. "They really get into character and sometimes can really scare the participants."

Scarers dress in full makeup and costume while pulling out all their tricks in order to frighten participants. From chilling to screams, limping, shocking appearances and no fear of their own, these volunteers are some of the most devoted students on campus.

"I love dressing up in crazy outfits," said Allegan sophomore Taylor Slyker. "Putting on cool makeup, and making people scream and laugh, it's an adrenaline rush."

Likewise, the story tellers for this year's event did exceptionally well with their own performances. The story about two tragically passed CMU lovers was performed particularly well. Although tellers were required to wear masks, they were also provided with portable audio amplifiers which were taken full advantage of.

I suspect the final night of performances, Oct. 31, will be just as successful. Free doughnuts, hot chocolate, and apple cider will also be available. If you are unable to attend the event this year, I highly recommend attending Legends of the Dark next year.