New RSO creates safe space for Black LGBTQ+ students

screen-shot-2020-09-21-at-11-03-32-am

Photo of illustration taken from BiRA's Twitter account.

After a summer of social justice movements, Detroit senior Taylor Perry and Redford senior Courtney Colding thought there was no time like the present to start a new registered student organization.

During the height of the protests, Perry and Colding noticed a lack of support regarding intersectionality of Black people who identity as LGBTQ+.

"With the whole uprising, it was really important to speak our voice and just share our story, share our background and where we come from and the battles we are fighting," Perry said.

Perry and Colding, co-presidents, began Black Inclusion Rights Advocates (BiRA) to create a safe community for Black LGBTQ+ students on Central Michigan University's campus. 

The co-presidents, who are in a relationship, saw a lot of separation and disdain throughout the country, more specifically the CMU community. 

"It was hard for us, because we are partners," Perry said. "We are not only just fighting the battle of being Black, but we are also fighting the fact that we are LGBTQ+, that is our community as well, and we have to fight from that angle." 

After making the realization, Perry and Colding reached out to Shannon Jolliff, director of the Office of LGBTQ Services and Gender Equity Programs. 

Jolliff expressed that the need for this kind of group, stems from the need for specific organizations that assist students in finding connections and communities.

"I think specifically at a predominantly white institution there are already barriers to connection and belonging, adding in a queer identity furthers that isolation," Jolliff said. "So, organizations that focus in on specific identities support filling gaps."

Jolliff provided the duo with plenty of resources and procedures in beginning the RSO, including insight on how to choose a faculty adviser.

Perry and Colding found their adviser with sociology professor Amanda Garrison. They believed her expertise in youth and gender identity makes her the perfect fit for the role, but Garrison feels that the true asset lies within the leadership.

"I want to know as much about what the RSO represents as possible," Garrison said. "It was no problem at all to accept the invitation to serve any student that would benefit from participating in BiRA."

Garrison believes the future of the organization is up to the leaders of BiRA to listen to the wants and needs of student voices.

Perry posted to Twitter and began seeing interest from students. She knew that work needed to be done to get the organization up and running for the 2020-21 academic year. The RSO is still looking for more committee members to join. 

"I think a big part of what we are trying to do is educate and spread awareness to what Black LGBQT+ people go through," Colding said. "We want to hold events that bring people together and have a safe space for people to talk about specific issues that Black LGBTQ people go through or just Black issues.".

BiRA's next general meeting is from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 13, continuing on Tuesdays every other week.