Academic Affairs to budget exam kits, Hyflex legislation in works

general-board

Courtesy Photo | A screenshot from SGA's General Board agenda from the meeting that took place on Oct. 13, 2020.

As the Student Government Association moves into the latter half of the semester, Microsoft Word documents become proper legislation.

The Academic Affairs committee in the SGA began its Hyflex legislation during their meeting on Oct. 12. The legislation looks into other ways it can be used as a resource to help students, said Brandon McDonald, Academic Affairs chair.

"(We are) specifically looking into the ways it can be used post-COVID-19 now that the technology has been implemented in classrooms across campus," McDonald said.

Academic Affairs is preparing to buy the materials required for this semester's exam kits as well. The lists of materials is a work in progress, McDonald said.

Instead of legislation, the Outreach Committee is working on a scholarship related to diversity and inclusion. The goal is to provide an opportunity for prospective students who are not a citizen of the United States to be able to receive some financial aid.

"We are currently looking at scholarships from the (Multicultural Academic Student Services) office as blueprints for requirements," said Aubre Thomas, Outreach Committee chair. "We are also starting to branch out and open the floor for suggestions for other steps that we can take in tackling this problem."

During the General Board meeting, SGA introduced a guest speaker to talk about Title IX changes that took place over the summer. Title IX Coordinator at Central Michigan University Mary Martinez explained the changes they made and the difference between Title IX sexual offenses and general sexual offenses, the latter being breaches of Central Michigan University's policy.

SGA is searching to hire a student as the Chief of Staff. Interested students should reach out to their email, SGA@cmich.edu, with a cover letter and resume.

There was no new or old business in the House or the Senate.