CMU men's basketball roster breakdown: Where do the newcomers fit?

bball-4

Freshman guard Matt Beachler passes the ball to junior guard Shawn Roundtree during the game against Eureka on Nov. 18 at McGuirk Arena. 

CMU will open its men's basketball season on the road at Illinois-Chicago on Saturday, and there will be questions. 

The Chippewas had their season opener against Trine canceled due to COVID-19 protocols and there are a lot of questions with when the games will be played. There will also be questions on the floor for the Chippewas.

When the Chippewas take the court for the first time, they will look strikingly different from last season's group that finished 14-18. Gone are four senior starters who combined for 53 points per game last year. Three returning seniors started games last year, but each is only in their second season with the program. 

Coach Keno Davis has assembled a unique roster. Only one player, redshirt junior Matt Beachler, has been with the program for four years. With pieces put together from all over the college basketball map, it creates an interesting dynamic within the program. 

Here is a breakdown of each member of CMU's 2020-21 men's basketball roster (* - denotes stats from previous institution)

Freshmen (4):

Ra'Shad Weekly-McDaniels (PG)

Height/Weight: 6-1/ 215

Hometown: St. Louis, MO

Previous school: Trinity Catholic (HS)

Last season stats: N/A

Analysis: Weekly-McDaniels comes to CMU as it's lone freshman guard recruit by way of Trinity Catholic high school in St. Louis. He was a highly-effective scorer within the AAU circuit and projects to potentially lead the offense down the road. It's common practice for Davis to redshirt his young guards, however Weekly-McDaniels could end up competing for playing time in a year where having depth is paramount. 

Aundre Polk (PF)

Height/Weight: 6-10/ 210

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Previous school: SPIRE Academy (HS) 

Last season stats: N/A

Analysis: After playing at SPIRE Academy in Ohio, Polk may be able to step in and contribute right away. With the graduation of sharpshooting stretch-four David DiLeo, Davis needs a shooter to step in and fill his role within the offense. While Polk may not be as good of a shooter as DiLeo, his athleticism will help on the defensive end. With the team in need of frontcourt depth, Polk will likely get a chance to prove himself early on. 

Caleb Hodgson (C) 

Height/Weight: 6-10/ 235

Hometown: Dansville, MI

Previous school: Dansville High School

Last season stats: N/A (Redshirted) 

Analysis: Hodgson came in as a highly touted part of last season's recruiting class but did not see action. Now, in his second year with the program, he will fill the shoes of Rob Montgomery, who was forced into playing the "five" position despite being undersized. Hodgson will get time early, likely off the bench, with a chance to play his way into the starting lineup as the season progresses. 

Dylan Jergens (PG)

Height/Weight: 6-0/160

Hometown: Mendon, MI

Previous school: Howardsville Christian

Last season stats: N/A (Redshirted)

Analysis: Not much is expected of Jergens, which is exactly why he's worth watching. He ranks third all-time in Michigan High School Athletic Association history in points, which shows his ability to hit shots. He's a good shooter, and on a team that doesn't return much when it comes to consistent shooting, Jergens may be able to carve out a role down the road. 

Sophomores (1): 

PJ Mitchell (PG)

Height/Weight: 6-0, 188

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Previous school: Detroit Edison

Last season stats: 1.7 PPG, 43 FG% .2 APG 

Analysis: Mitchell was forced into action in a handful of games due to various injuries within the Chippewa backcourt. He wasn't an exceptional shooter last year, however there is optimism that he can develop into a key rotational piece. He'll compete with Weekly-McDaniels for the third point guard role. 

Juniors (6):

Caleb Huffman (SG) 

Height/Weight: 6-4, 185

Hometown: Broken Arrow, OK

Previous school: Iowa Western Community College

Last season stats: 16.1 PPG, 49 FG%, 4.5 RPG*

2019 accolades: NJCAA Region XI Second Team

Analysis: Huffman comes to CMU after two years at Iowa Western, one of the better JUCO basketball spots. He's a good shooter and a solid defender, bringing two much-needed elements. There are plenty of starting spots available, and Huffman will be in the running to start on the wing. Look for him to be a solid rotational piece throughout the season. 

Meikkel Murray (SF)

Height/Weight: 6-6, 190

Hometown: Bronx, NY

Previous school: Coffeyville Community College

Last season stats: 16.7 PPG, 50 FG%, 7.4 RPG*

2019 accolades: Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference Player of the Year, First Team All-KJCCC, First Team All-Region, NJCAA Second Team All-American 

Analysis: The highest profile addition of the previous offseason, Murray is a dynamic playmaker who will see big minutes early on. He's a strong finisher around the rim and can hit outside shots as well. Additionally, he comes in after playing over 30 minutes a game last season, meaning he's well suited for a big role from the beginning of his Chippewa career. 

Malik Muhammad

Height/Weight: 6-9, 235

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Previous school: East Los Angeles College

Last season stats: 9.6 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 1.9 BPG*

2019 accolades: First Team All-South Coast Conference - North

Analysis: Muhammad brings an interesting skill set to Davis' offense. In years past, Davis hasn't been known for recruiting traditional back-to-the-basket centers, however that's exactly what Muhammad is. His best trait is his defense, which is something the Chippewas will be grateful for. If he's able to block shots and protect the rim like he did at ELAC, he'll be a valuable asset. 

Ralph Bissainthe

Height/Weight: 6-7, 205

Hometown: North Miami, FL

Previous school: Florida Southwestern State

Last season stats: 7.7 PPG, 2.0 RPG*

Analysis: In Bissainthe, the Chippewas are getting another high-flying athlete. His shooting numbers at Florida Southwestern State aren't great, however his defense makes up for that. Look for Bissainthe to be a contributor off the bench to start, with a chance to move up in the rotation as the season progresses. 

Matt Beachler

Height/Weight: 6-4, 200

Hometown: Lowell, MI

Previous school: Lowell High School

Last season stats: N/A (Redshirted) 

Analysis: After taking a redshirt last year, Beachler is back to provide the offense with his solid shooting. Davis mentioned that Beachler has stepped to the plate as a leader of the team, which is important because he is the longest tenured Chippewa. He'll be a contributor from game one, whether that be in a starting or off-the-bench shooter role. 

Preston Enloe

Height/Weight: 6-3, 190

Hometown: Plano, Texas 

Previous school: Tarleton State

Last season stats: N/A (Sat out due to transfer requirements)

Analysis: Enloe is a similar player to Beachler. He has shot the ball at a better clip throughout his career, however he was playing at the Division II level. The Texas native is a walk-on, so nothing is guaranteed for him at this moment, however that could change this year in a pinch. His shooting ability will be valuable for the team at times. 

Seniors (4):

Travon Broadway

Height/Weight: 6-5, 182

Hometown: Miami, FL

Last season stats: 7.1 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 38 FG%

Analysis: After beginning the year in the starting lineup, Broadway had an up-and-down debut season with CMU. Sure, he scored 17 points in back-to-back games filling in for Devontae Lane and Dallas Morgan, but there were also four conference games where he didn't make a field goal. If he's able to pair his solid defense with a consistent offensive contribution, he becomes a game changer and can help the Chippewas exceed expectations this year. 

Devontae Lane

Height/Weight: 6-3, 205

Hometown: Iowa City, IA

Previous school: Indian Hills Community College

Last season stats: 9.1 PPG, 3.4 APG, 3.0 RPG

Analysis: Lane is the lone consistent starter to return to the program in 2020-21. He'll be the team's starting point guard, and will likely play a bigger role in the offense after serving as a facilitator last year. With so many good point guards in the MAC, he'll need to show significant improvement if the Chippewas are going to compete within the conference. 

Braden Burke

Height/Weight: 7-0, 245

Hometown: Stevensville, MI

Previous school: Michigan State University

Last season stats: .2 PPG, 1.3 MPG*

Analysis: Though Burke played in just 17 games over the past two seasons, he's coming to CMU with three Big Ten championship rings and thousands of minutes logged in practice against Xavier Tillman and Nick Ward, two NBA-level big men. As a 7-footer, his size is as big of an addition as the experience he'll bring. Burke should be a good option for Davis to start at the "five" position to start the season. 

Tyler Hankins

Height/Weight: 6-9, 225

Hometown: Bartlett, IL

Previous school: South Elgin High School

Last season stats: N/A (First year with team) 

Analysis: Hankins, a left-handed pitcher on the Chippewa baseball team, is joining the basketball team in his senior season. It's unlikely he'll play a big role, however it's not far-fetched to think that he could be a good depth piece coming off the bench.