Central Michigan women's basketball roster breakdown: Returning talent makes Chippewas MAC favorite

wbb-jan-11-9

Micaela Kelly strips the ball from a Miami (OH) player Jan. 11 at McGuirk Arena.

Any time a team returns the conference's player of the year, the expectations are bound to be high. Pair that with the reigning coach of the year, as well as one of the best freshmen classes in the conference, and those expectations become even higher. 

In year two of the Heather Oesterle era, Central Michigan faces high expectations. Senior guard Micaela "Twin" Kelly returns after becoming the third straight Chippewa to win Mid-American Conference Player of the Year honors, as do the other four starters from last year's team that coasted to a conference title. 

Now, the Chippewas have their sights set on national recognition. Oesterle has reloaded her staff, adding former Duke and Texas head coach Gail Goestenkors and former West Virginia star Sarah Miles, and brings in four freshmen who have the ability to play right away. They'll face a loaded nonconference slate to open the year, something that Oesterle believes is fitting because of the talent on her team. 

But just how high can the Chippewas fly? 

Here is a breakdown of each member of CMU's 2020-21 women's basketball roster: 

Freshmen (4): 

Maryama Turkstra (F)

Height: 6-foot-2

Hometown: Dundas, ONT

Previous school: St. Mary's Catholic Secondary

2019 stats: N/A

Accolades: 2017 national champion and gold medal winner with Canadian national team

Analysis: Turkstra will bring a rim-protecting presence that the Chippewas will need. At 6-foot-2, she's the tallest listed player on the roster, and her athleticism will be an asset on defense. She has upperclassmen ahead of her in returning starters Kyra Bussell and Jahari Smith, however solid performances on defense could easily earn her more playing time as the season progresses. 

Rachel Loobie (F)

Height: 6-foot-1

Hometown: Indianapolis, IN

Previous school: Franklin Central

2019 stats: N/A

Accolades: 2019 Associated Press All-State, four-time Indiana Basketball Coaches Association All-State honoree, three of which were first team selections 

Analysis: One of two freshmen who is a hybrid wing-post player. Loobie has legitimate 3-point range but is at her best in the post. She's talented enough to play right away, and there are minutes available. If she's able to play well in transition, she can earn minutes on the wing. She's certainly a building block for the Chippewa future. 

Carlee Crabtree (G)

Height: 5-foot-10

Hometown: Coldwater, MI

Previous school: Coldwater High School

2019 stats: N/A

Accolades: Four-time Detroit News and Detroit Free Press All-State selection

Analysis: With Kelly and sophomore star Molly Davis ahead of her, there's no reason to throw Crabtree into the fire right away. There's not many better players to spend a year learning and playing behind than Kelly, so Crabtree is in a good spot. She'll likely see minutes as the third point guard should there be foul trouble, but her first year will likely be a developmental one. 

Sydney Graber (F)

Height: 6-foot-1

Hometown: Fort Wayne, IN

Previous school: Homestead

2019 stats: N/A

Accolades: Four-time Indiana Basketball Coaches Association First Team All-State selection, ESPN 4-star recruit and 51st overall prospect in the 2020 class

Analysis: Graber is the most likely to see starter-level minutes right away. She has the ability to guard four, maybe even all five, positions while operating successfully as a ball-handler. She's also a good shooter and has the versatility to play in the Chippewas' transition game. Graber may not crack the starting lineup right away, but there's a spot for her down the line if she plays to her potential. 

Sophomores (2):

Molly Davis (G)

Height: 5-foot-7

Hometown: Midland, MI

Previous school: Dow High School

2019 stats: 14.3 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 4.4 APG

2019 Accolades: Second-team All-MAC, MAC All-Freshman team

Analysis: After struggling to start the season, Davis became a star as the season progressed. She is as good a shooter as this team has, and will continue to be the team's main ball handler. As a freshman, she logged over 1,000 minutes played, so it will be interesting to see if she sees a similar workload in her second year. 

Annika Weekes (G) 

Height: 5-foot-10

Hometown: Toronto, ONT

Previous school: St. Joesph's College School

2019 stats: N/A (redshirted due to injury)

Analysis: Weekes' name has come up in many, if not all of Oesterle's discussions with the media. After missing all of last year with a shoulder injury, Weekes appears primed to play a big role. She's a good defender and shot the ball well as a freshman, so look for her to compete for a large amount of minutes from day one. 

Juniors (3): 

Jahari Smith (F)

Height: 6-foot

Hometown: Bolingbrook, IL

Previous school: Bolingbrook

2019 stats: 4.6 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 22 blocks

Analysis: Having started every game she's ever played for the Chippewas, Smith is an experienced asset. She didn't bring much to the table offensively last year, and sometimes spent long spurts on the sidelines because of the emergence of Gabi Bird. However, her defense around the rim is as good as any, and therefore she'll play good minutes. 

Sophia Karasinski (G)

Height: 5-foot-9

Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI

Previous school: Grand Rapids Catholic Central 

2019 stats: 1.5 PPG, .4 RPG, 38% 3FG

Analysis: In Oesterle's offense, there will always be a place for a shooter of Karasinski's level. After fully recovering from her ACL injury, Karasinski became a valuable piece off the bench because of how well she shoots the ball. That should continue in 2020, however she'll have competition if the freshmen or Weekes can match her abilities from beyond the arc. 

Kalle Martinez (G)

Height: 5-foot-6

Hometown: Bay City, MI

Previous school: John Glenn

2019 stats: .9 PPG, .6 RPG, 5.2 MPG

Analysis: Oesterle and her staff love the intensity and effort that Martinez plays with. When the Chippewas needed a stop, Martinez was a name they could call to get it. She may not get quality minutes in every game, but her ability to play well in a pinch makes her valuable. There's a lot of depth at her position, and for that reason she's going to have to compete to get her number called. 

Seniors (3): 

Micaela "Twin" Kelly

Height: 5-foot-6

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Previous school: DePaul

2019 stats: 21.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 4.9 APG

2019 accolades: MAC Player of the Year, First Team All-MAC, First Team All-MAC defensive team

Analysis: Kelly has been all over the national watch lists heading into her senior season. Over the course of last year, she developed into not only a pure scorer, but also a very good defender. At times, she will likely play nearly all 40 minutes as long as she stays out of foul trouble. Kelly is as good as they come in the MAC, and for that reason she's the favorite to repeat as MAC Player of the Year. 

Kyra Bussell

Height: 6-foot-1 

Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI

2019 stats: 14.2 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 30.6 MPG

Analysis: After contributing as a bench piece for her first two years, Bussell broke out as a junior. She established herself as a very good "stretch-four," which is valuable in Oesterle's offense. If she can develop into a versatile defensive stopper, she may challenge Kelly for top player honors in the MAC. 

Maddy Watters

Height: 5-foot-9

Hometown: Rockford, MI

Previous school: Rockford

2019 stats: 7.6 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 1.9 APG

Analysis: Watters is an incredible spot-up shooter. Yet, she stays on the floor and starts because of how savvy she is on the court. There were times last year where she was the best defender on the floor, and others where she could get to the basket with ease. She has a tendency to disappear at times when she's not getting spot-up looks, but her experience leads to opportunities.