Three takeaways from CMU women's hoops loss to Michigan State

watters-directing-2
Senior guard Maddy Watters directs her Central Michigan teammates during a game at Michigan State on Dec. 18 in the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING -- CMU's women's basketball team gave Michigan State all it had Friday in the Breslin Center. 

MSU utilized its size and power to eventually gain a lead of as many as 10 and take down the Chippewas 79-70. 

Friday's game had a feeling similar to the postseason with the intensity between the in-state foes. 

"It was a great learning experience," said coach Heather Oesterle. "I told them to keep their heads high because we did a lot of really nice things. ... We followed the game plan." 

Here are three takeaways from CMU's 79-70 loss to MSU on Friday:

Chippewa starters need rest in big games

Senior guard Micaela Kelly played 39 of the game's 40 minutes against the Spartans (5-0). Sophomore guard Molly Davis played 38, junior forward Jahari Smith played 35 and senior forward Kyra Bussell played 34. 

While all four scored in double figures, there is a need to utilize the depth Oesterle and the Chippewa's (3-2) coaching staff have put together. 

Against the Spartans, just two players -- sophomore guard Anika Weekes and junior Kalle Martinez -- came in off the bench. Weekes finished with five points in 22 minutes. Martinez didn't score in her four minutes. 

Oesterle said she knows her team needs to utilize the bench in order to find success. 

"We're in better shape than we were against Michigan," Oesterle said. "I just have to find a better rotation. MSU played 10 people double digit minutes and their physical play wore us down." 

Guard play is CMU's superpower

Whether its Davis hitting the long ball or Kelly shooting and driving the lights out, the starting guard combination for CMU will be lethal in conference play. 

Don't forget, there are plenty of other guards -- Watters, Weekes, Martinez and junior Sophia Karasinski -- to supplement the Chippewa backcourt. 

CMU's backcourt is deep, it starts with Kelly and Davis and works its way back with a powerful rotation to lead the Chippewas to success. 

While there are fewer forwards, the frontcourt CMU boasts is formidable but has shown some signs of weakness. 

At MSU on Friday, the Spartans outscored the Chippewas in the paint 40-14, but only outrebounded CMU 35-34. A majority of the points scored in the paint was the Spartans utilizing their strength in the area around the basket, similar to what Michigan did in the opener.

Oesterle said her team responded much better against MSU than at Michigan. 

"We need to do a better job defensively keeping people out of the paint," Oesterle said. "For the most part, we answered (against) a team that is incredibly physical and strong." 

With depth, CMU is ready for the "big game"

Back in the opener on Nov. 25 at Michigan, CMU hung tough before the nationally-ranked Wolverines pulled away late. 

In Friday's game against the Spartans, CMU played well enough for 35 minutes to beat the undefeated Big Ten foes. 

CMU has the talent to win big games in conference play, where it already sits 2-0, and it has the experience to beat some of the toughest teams in the MAC. 

CMU also has a target on its back as the MAC-favorite. 

By leading at Michigan State and competing against one of the better teams in the Big Ten, the Chippewas proved they are ready for whatever test comes their way when MAC play resumes for good on Jan. 2 at Ohio. 

" ... Our team is full of competitors," Oesterle said. "They just want to win."