The School of Music presents annual Jazz Weekend as virtual concert series

0f4a0145

Awards are handed out in several categories during Jazz Weekend on Feb. 1, 2019 in Plachta Auditorium. 

The Central Michigan University School of Music is continuing its tradition of showcasing student and faculty jazz musicianship, and this year it will be done through free, live streamed concerts. 

Jazz Weekend XLVIII, the 48th annual event, began on Feb. 2 with a masterclass featuring Robbie Smith, John Nichol, Bob Lindahl, Ed Fedewa and Andrew Spencer. The classes began with a short performance from faculty and then proceeded with a class from the featured instructors. A recording of the masterclass, as well as printable materials for the classes, are available for free through the School of Music.

When the School of Music is not restricted by a pandemic, Jazz Weekend is also a time when high schools from across Michigan can send jazz ensembles to perform and compete. Director of Music Events Kristin Pagels said that CMU would host between 50 and 60 high school bands during the event. 

“These are great opportunities for students to continue making music and play,” Pagels said. “It’s actually been a really great opportunity to do different types of concerts.” 

Jazz Weekend originally started in 1974 and featured Duke Ellington as its first guest artist. This year’s events will be the first time that Jazz Weekend will be without a guest performer. Pagels said that the performances will be “focused entirely on students and professors.” 

“I’ve been really looking forward to Jazz Weekend, not just because we’ve been planning for a couple of months,” Pagels said, “but Jazz Weekend is always a really good time and we have some really loyal fans out there who are die-hard Jazz Weekend attendees. I’m really excited to see that they’re participating in this new virtual format.”

Outside of Jazz Weekend, the School of Music will continue its Live from Staples! concert series, live streamed through Facebook on Thursday nights. The performances at these concerts are different every week, allowing students to practice alternate modes of performance. 

“We’re doing the best we can given the circumstances,” Pagels said. “I know everyone at our department feels very fortunate that we have been able to make music safely.” 

Upcoming events for Jazz Weekend and the School of Music include: 

Feb. 4 – Live from Staples! Faculty Jazz Ensemble | 7:30 pm 

Feb. 5 – Live from Staples! Jazz Lab 1 | 7:30 pm and 9:00 pm

Feb. 11 – Live from Staples! Faculty Showcase | 7:30 pm 

Feb. 18 – Live from Staples! Student Showcase | 7:30 pm 

Feb. 21 – Choir and Orchestra Concert | 3:00 pm 

Feb. 25 – In Celebration of Song | 7:30 pm