Students spend the first wellness day relaxing, catching up on schoolwork

img-0040-2

Grandville senior Katie Hixson walks her dog on first wellness day of the Spring 2021 semester Feb. 4

On Feb. 4, students all over campus got to experience Central Michigan University's first wellness day.

In an effort to keep campus safe during the pandemic, the Spring Break of the Spring 2021 semester was replaced by seven disconnected wellness days, during which classes are cancelled. 

"These dates are intended to provide time away from homework, class activities and meetings and other stressors, so students and faculty can enjoy a much-needed and well-deserved break," Provost Mary Schutten said in an email to students during the Fall 2020 semester.

These days off are spread throughout the semester to give students and faculty time away from class without having to worry about COVID-19 restrictions. 

Grandville senior Katie Hixson walking her dog Allie taking a walk.

Some students took advantage of the day off to de-stress from the first few weeks of classes. For example, junior Sarah Zumbrock chose to brave the cold and spend her day relaxing in the peaceful pond-side gazebo near the library.

"You can catch up on assignments, but I've been enjoying the outdoors," Zumbrock said. "I appreciate them trying to work with us and give us breaks in a safe way."

Even the pets around campus got to enjoy the day off, getting to spend more time with their owners. Grandville senior Katie Hixson took the extra time to relax and spend a day with her dog Allie. 

"I'm enjoying the day off," Hixson said. "I slept in, I'm taking my dog out for a walk and after, I'm just gonna chill and play some Animal Crossing."

Although, not all students get to relax with their day away from classes. Due to work and homework, many students still went about their day as usual unable to take advantage of the day off because they still have classes on Friday and homework to finish. 

"I still have a lot of things to do today," said Montague senior Allison Rolewicz. "I understand why they did it but it's not much of a difference to me. I didn't use my wellness day." 

Rolewicz admits there isn't any alternative to the Spring Break issue during a pandemic, but the wellness days don't work for all students.

Other students, like Grand Rapids senior Nick Westendorp, agree that while the wellness days don't compare to an uninterrupted week away from school, they are a welcome alternative during a pandemic where travel is restricted.

"We absolutely should not have Spring Break this semester. I think that would be irresponsible if we did," Westendorp said. "If we didn't have COVID, I'd rather have Spring Break, but this will suffice."

Caledonia senior Kathryn Lemon was another one of many students who support the wellness days, despite losing their spring break. 

"When I heard today was gonna be off, I was pretty excited," Lemon said, "I have mixed emotions cause I miss Spring Break and the full week of relaxation, but it's nice the university is doing something for us. We are in a pandemic and I feel like people forget that."

Lemon was happy that she still got her break from classes, but was still annoyed to be spending much of her day off in the library doing school work for her Friday classes.

Classes and events returned to regular scheduling Feb. 5, but will have more wellness days later in the semester. The university will have six more wellness days this semester that students can take advantage of on Feb. 22, March 10 and 23, April 2, 7 and 30.