Micaela Kelly drafted 21st overall by Connecticut Sun in WNBA Draft

kjt-6541

Sophomore guard Micaela Kelly react to cutting down the net following a game against Western Michigan on March 6, 2019 in McGurik Arena. The Chippewas clinched a share of the MAC regular season title with the win.

Micaela Kelly has been chosen to play in the WNBA.

Kelly was selected 21st overall by the Connecticut Sun in the 2021 WNBA draft. She's the second Central Michigan Chippewa to be selected in the WNBA draft, joining Crystal Bradford in 2015. 

Kelly etched her name all over the Chippewa record book during her time in Mount Pleasant. The Detroit native ranks second all-time in scoring with 2,173 points and is top-10 in numerous other categories, including 3-point makes, field goal makes and assists. Kelly finished her career with 618 rebounds and 513 assists in addition to her scoring total. 

In 2020-21, Kelly set the program record for scoring average with 23.9 points per game. She was named first team All-Mid-American Conference for the second consecutive season and also led the Chippewas in assists. CMU also made a third straight NCAA Tournament appearance after winning the MAC Tournament for the second time in four years. 

Kelly leaves Mount Pleasant with three regular season titles in addition to the two MAC tournament championships. As a freshman, Kelly played a key role in the Chippewas rolling to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen with wins over nationally ranked LSU and Ohio State. She was named the MAC Player of the Year following the 2019-20 season.

The Sun are coached by Curt Miller and were 10-12 last season.