Chippewas deep at running back, focusing on diversifying skill sets

screen-shot-2021-08-10-at-1-05-48-pm
Central Michigan running back Cornell Jackson speaks with the media virtually Tuesday, August 10.

Daniel Richardson didn't mince words when it comes to his teammates Kobe Lewis and Lew Nichols III. 

"Man, Kobe and Lew, best backfield in the nation," Richardson said. "Great two guys. Having those two guys back opens up the offense just for play action and able to throw the ball. Having them is awesome." 

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain stopped short of calling Lewis and Nichols III the best backfield in the country, but said finding a better duo in the Mid-American Conference would be difficult. 

"I'd be hard pressed to think there's a much better running back room than what we have right now," McElwain said. "I'm looking forward to the competition and I'm looking forward to what we're gonna be able to do personnel-wise in some packages where we get multiple guys from that room on the field at the same time."

In Lewis and Nichols, the Chippewas return a combined 1,016 yards across the six game season. Nichols was named MAC Freshman of the Year in 2020 after leading the team in rushing with 524 yards and scoring four touchdowns. Lewis led the team in rushing scores with six. 

The duo, along with a trio of talented incoming freshmen, give the Chippewas a solid foundation in the run game. The winner of CMU's ongoing quarterback battle will have little to worry about in the running game. 

Lewis and Nichols have been on campus four and three years, respectively. The running back room also features fourth-year converted defensive back Darius Bracy. This experience is pivotal, as it allows them to instruct the younger members in the room like freshmen Myles Bailey, Marion Lukes and DJ Stepney. 

Bracy made the move from defensive back to running back at the start of the 2020 season. He played in five games and ran the ball 15 times for 95 yards from the wildcat formation. 

Bailey and Lukes are three-star recruits from the 2020 recruiting class who grayshirted last season. Lukes hails from Charlestown, Indiana while Bailey is from North Brunswick, New Jersey. Stepney, meanwhile, is one of CMU's highest-rated 2021 recruits and attended Dakota High School in Macomb. 

Bailey and Lukes were both on campus for the spring. In that time, CMU running backs coach Cornell Jackson said he liked what he saw.  

"They're doing an outstanding job," Jackson said. "They're young, eager players, and they have good ability."

Jackson is currently getting his first looks at Stepney, who was a state qualifier in track in addition to being one of the finalists for Michigan's Mr. Football award. He came to CMU listed as a two-way player but will play solely running back. 

"We recruited DJ, just like everyone else did, based on what he did in high school," Jackson said. "He's really got some talent. He's quick, he's got good size, of course he'll get bigger. I tell you what, he's one smart, smart guy." 

In the case of all five options in the backfield, Jackson said each are improving in their own ways. With an emphasis on better quarterback play, there's an insistence placed on being effective in pass protection. 

This is all part of an effort for the running backs to diversify their skill sets. Jackson wants his running backs to be versatile weapons, whether it be in pass protection, in the run game or as receivers out of the backfield. 

"From a protection standpoint, that running back is communicating with the offensive line for the protection part of it," Jackson said. "So all those things, as years go by, I always say put stuff in your bucket. So every year they're putting stuff in their bucket and they get smarter and smarter and brighter and brighter."