Chippewas, Golden Flashes end in stalemate


Senior Midfielder, Riley Mann, lining up a drive shot in hopes of a fourth goal for CMU Women's Soccer on Oct. 7, 2021.

Right from the opening whistle, Central Michigan soccer found themselves in a battle with Kent State. 

With only three Mid-American Conference games remaining, every win and loss is magnified. 

CMU (7-7-1, 4-4-1 MAC) took their first tie of the season against the Golden Flashes (10-4-2) to keep their postseason run alive in a 1-1 finish on Thursday.

“I like our grittiness tonight, we really fought hard,” said CMU head coach Jeremy Groves. “We’re so close to this (MAC tournament seeding) we need to take our goal chances a little bit more.”

How it Happened

The first half saw the Chippewas press KSU's defense from the first minute to the forty-fifth minute. 

The Golden Flashes were stuck on defense, relying on their breakaway offense opportunities. But even then, CMU’s defense was able to counter KSU attacks with ease, holding them to zero first half goals.

With less than a minute left before halftime, the Chippewas capitalized on a golden opportunity. CMU sophomore Elizabeth Chlystun had one defender to beat while bringing the ball into the right side of the box. She declined three passing options to boot a curling kick that found the top left of the net for a CMU goal and a 1-0 lead.

In the second half, the Golden Flashes found success with their offensive press. A Chippewas mistake near their goal lead to the equalizing score by Kent State senior Tianna Harris to put the game 1-1.

Around the 70-minute mark offensive possessions for both teams began to go back and forth as physicality set in. In the final 10 minutes of regulation CMU showed trust in its defensive abilities. The Golden Flashes were able to get corner kicks and shots, but the Chippewas stopped every KSU opportunity. 

With seconds left in regulation the opportunity for a breakaway became a reality for CMU. Reminiscent of its win in Buffalo, CMU had the numbers to score the game winning goal. CMU senior Samantha Kaye-Toral had a clear shot on goal off a deflection, but a KSU defender put her leg out at the right time for a massive save. 

For the fifth time this season, the Chippewas found themselves in overtime. 

CMU was able to get two quick corners with shots on goal. The offense was on the attack for the entirety of the first overtime, but no goals were scored resulting in overtime number two.

The second overtime saw CMU on the defensive side of the ball waiting for a breakaway opportunity like they had near the end of regulation. Neither team was able to find the back of the net resulting in the first tie of the year for the Chippewas.

Injury Update

CMU redshirt freshman Megan Scholten came out of the game with a gash after a head collision with an opposing player. CMU Laila Arab also left the game after hurting her ankle.

 Both these injuries could affect if they play on Sunday or not, according to Groves.

Key Stats

CMU had 15 shots and eight on goal while KSU had 18 shots and seven on goal.

A physical matchup as 27 total fouls were committed, 14 on CMU and 13 on the Golden Flashes.

CMU had six corner kicks. The Golden Flashesrecorded nine total corners.

Key Performers

Chlystun had the opening goal for her third of the season along with two shots and one goal.

Harris had the equalizing Kent State goal on her only shot and a game saving stop near the end of regulation.

CMU senior defender Maria Kaschalk recorded a season-high four shots with three on goal. 

Up Next

CMU is back home for Senior Day and their final regular season home game against the Ohio Bobcats at 1 p.m. Sunday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

Scoring Summary

1ST (44:23) CMU (1-0) Elizabeth Chlystun

2nd (59:36) KSU (1-1) Tianna Harris (Stambolich)