Davies announces search committee to replace finance VP

Vice president for finance and administrative services, Nick Long, points to a slide during a presentation about the proposed Washington Commons project at a Student Government Association meeting on Feb. 28 in the Bovee University Center.

In a press release, Central Michigan University President Bob Davies announced he has named a search committee to replace the vice president of finance and administrative services.

After two years in the position at CMU, Nick Long resigned on July 21. Long joined CMU in July 2020, following the retirement of his predecessor, Barry Wilkes.

During his time at CMU, Long was responsible for the oversight of the Financial Planning & Budgets, CMU Police and Parking, Human Resources, Financial Services and Reporting, Auxiliary Services and Facilities Management divisions.

Long also led informational town hall meetings in Spring 2022 for the Washington Commons project, the residential complex that is part of CMU's Master Plan for future developments. 

Aaron Mills, executive director of University Communications, said the search committee will consult with DHR, the same firm that helped hire Long in 2020. Mills said CMU will not have to pay DHR their usual consulting fee because the firm waives the fee if a position is left vacant within two years of it being filled.  

The fee is usually one third of the position's first year salary, Mills said. In Long's case, that was about $91,300 in 2020. Mills said Long's total compensation in his first year was about $280,000.       

The search committee to find a new vice president of finance and administrative services will review candidates for the position and help select finalists, according to the press release from University Communications.

Ray Christie, senior vice provost for academic administration, will chair the committee. The other members are as follows: 

• Lori Hella, associate vice president of human resources.
  • Paula Lancaster, dean of the College of Education and Human Services, and member of the Budget Model Steering Committee.
  • Larry Lemke, department chair for Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, and co-chair of the Budget Priorities Committee.
  • Nancy Mathews, provost and executive vice president.
  • Chris Moberg, dean, College of Business Administration, and member of the Budget Model Steering Committee.
  • Shawna Patterson-Stephens, vice president and chief diversity officer. 

While the national search for Long's replacement is underway, Mary Hill, associate vice president of financial services and reporting and controller for CMU, has been appointed to serve in the interim position. 

A press release from the university said Hill will work collaboratively with Lori Hella, associate vice president of human resources, and Jonathan Webb, associate vice president for facilities management. They will provide leadership and oversight for operations of the finance and administrative services division, the release said.