Overtime win puts CMU DIII hockey back in win column

Junior forward Jay Naidu taking the face-off against Ferris State at Martin Ice arena on Oct. 16 2022

With time running out in overtime and the game looking to end in a tie, Central Michigan’s division III club hockey team senior forward Keelan Baker sailed a puck into the zone finding the backhand blade of freshman forward Sam Camara. 

Facing away from the goal he looked back at the goaltender for a brief second. 

Before firing a backhand shot, sending the puck past the University of Michigan Flint’s goaltender and into the net to secure the overtime victory with a score of 6-5 on Friday at Crystal View Ice Arena.

"It's nice to get a win finally," said head coach Tyler Cataline. "Getting the win is big. We needed this and we needed that play The guys were pumped up obviously. The whole team was just pumped up."

CMU is now 6-4 on the season. 

In the battle for starting goaltender, Loren Jones got the start tonight. He picked up his fourth win of the season. 

"Loren Jones played phenomenal," Cataline said. "He won that game for us tonight. It was huge for him to get that confidence back up. We have a battle for our goalies to be that number one. I still don't know who is going to be number one going forward, but he (Jones) kept us in that game. I was so proud of Loren, that is the best I have seen him play." 

Plagued by injuries last weekend, it was the first time this season the Chippewas had their full roster on the bench. 

"Having everyone fight through their injuries shows what type of guys we are," Cataline said. "They do whatever they can to help this team. Fighting through all the battles for this team."

Sophomore forward Nathan Bottles opened the scoring for the Chippewas and helped them take a quick 2-0 lead with back-to-back goals in the first period. 

Keeping the momentum going into the second period, Baker recorded his second point of the night giving the Chippewas a 3-0 lead. 

The Wolverines were quick to answer with a goal two minutes later, cutting the lead 3-1.

Sophomore forward Isaac Gibbs skated behind the net with the puck on his stick and flipped the puck up onto his stick. Losing control of the puck, he swatted the puck in midair and into the net completing what is known as Michigan to put the Chippewas ahead by three. 

"You don't see that very often," Cataline said. "It is something unique. Even the U of M goalie took off his mask and was in shock. Stuff like that doesn't happen in games and having a player on your team pull that off is great. It is just cool. It was neat watching it live and watching not only our guys, but the U of M guy's reaction was like wow."

Refusing to give up, the Wolverines scored three quick goals to tie the game at four going into the third period. 

"After the second period, our coaching staff went in there and let them have it," Cataline said. "After giving up a three-goal lead we need to be better and play those full 60 minutes, and they responded in that third period"

All alone and with only the goalie to beat, junior forward Jay Naidu deked right and then left before using his backhand to sneak one past the U of M goaltender putting the Chippewas back on top 5-4. 

A roughing penalty by Gibbs put the Chippewas down a man. Despite junior forward Andrew Porozonek sliding himself across the ice to knock the puck out of their zone, the Wolverines tied the game at 5 forcing overtime. 

The Chippewas take on the Wolverines again on Saturday, Nov 5 at home at Martin Ice arena. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m.

"We need to be better prepared," Cataline said. "We have to come ready to play a full 60 minutes of hockey."