What's behind that Door?

While not perfect, 'Insidious: The Red Door' delivers the jump scares and solid horror

d-review-insidious-072823
Dalton (Ty Simpkins) seeks light through the darkness in Screen Gems' 'Insidious: The Red Door.' [Courtesy image | Sony Pictures]

"Insidious: The Red Door" picks up where "Insidious: Chapter 2" left off. A decade later, the Lambert family stands broken. The death of Grandma Lambert leaves the family shattered, father Josh is getting a divorce from his wife Renai, and son Dalton is heading off to college. 

As a last-ditch effort to keep the family together, Josh offers to drive Dalton to school. As soon as Dalton unpacks, strange supernatural events start to occur and the Red Door is wide open to drag Dalton and Josh back to the hell they tried to forget. 

But The Further hasn't forgotten them, and it is pissed. 

While this movie tries to resurrect the feeling of the first two "Insidious" movies, I feel that the smaller story dilutes this long-overdue reunion; however, it also delivers on the scares, as well as the tension and drama. 

Josh Lambert, played by Patrick Wilson ("Aquaman") is once again a stand-out character; he is someone who you genially feel bad for. The same goes for now-grown Dalton, played by Ty Simpkins ("Jurassic World"). Both actors bring their 'A' game to a story that is mostly focused around the two instead of the family as a whole. This works for developing their story but not the story of "Insidious" as a whole. 

The movie suffers from the absence of the main cast, especially now that Dalton has a little sister who gets little-to-no screen time. I also thought it was weird to see all the characters spend time apart from each other, except for the beginning and ending. 

I did like where the story went, just not how it played out. 

The jump scares are terrifying in this movie, especially when Josh is getting tested for a brain disease and is trapped in the MRI machine with a terrifying nurse. That scene was the best scene of the movie by far! 

I also liked the return of The Red Devil, but he seemed weaker here than the other movies. This time he was much slower, but he took his time and almost won if Dalton didn't figure out how the Red Door worked. Some people may not like the departure and claim that he was "debuffed," but I thought it was fine. 

Patrick Wilson as the director for this movie was awesome! He has a lot of creative camera angles and knows how to film a proper jumpscare! The film felt claustrophobic, even in open areas like "The Further." I hope he directs another movie in the near future. 

My other concern with the movie was a lack of sound, as it made some of the conversations a bit awkward and the movie seem like it was on a budget. For instance, it's moving day at Dalton's college and there are only five other people in his building. Instances like that pull me out of the movie and I end up nitpicking the scene, until I've missed five minutes of important dialogue. 

I also thought some of the dialogue in the movie was basic and spent too much time recapping the two pervious movies. Dare I say: You don't need to see the first two movies to see this one ... which isn't good. 

Overall it's a solid movie, just not the perfect conclusion I had hoped for the Lamberts' story. It's time for a new cast and a new horrifying entity to take over the franchise ... if they make more. 

I'd give "Insidious: The Red Door" an 8.5/10!