'Cabaret' to be performed in Bush Theatre: dances, songs and dark reveal under the surface

2023-380-0001-cabaret-final-dress-as
Courtesy of Emily Anderson.

The Department of Theatre and Dance will be performing the musical "Cabaret," directed by Keeley Stanley-Bohn, the first show in the newly renovated Bush Theatre on Central Michigan University’s campus.              

The musical will take place from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. from tonight through Nov. 11, and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 12 at Bush Theatre in Moore Hall.  

Marketing and Outreach Coordinator for the Department of Theatre and Dance Emily Anderson said that the show is based on the book "Goodbye to Berlin" by Christopher Isherwood. 

The story takes place in 1929, surrounding a club called the Kit Kat Klub and characters such as Emcee played by Nic Alessandrini, Clifford Bradshaw played by Noah Walther and Sally Bowles played by Madeline Gibb.       

"Cabaret's" music is directed by Bruce Bonnell and choreographed by Heather Trommer-Beardslee.     

“Songs are upbeat and everybody’s entertained with women dancing around but then, there’s darker stuff going on and you learn more about that as the show goes on,” Anderson said. “It’s very high energy, very entertaining, but at the end the audience sort of gets the rug pulled out from under them as they start to recognize what’s happening under the surface.”      

Anderson said that the show has mature content ranging from the choreography to the overall theme of the show.  

“The dances are risque in a fun, irreverent way … but then there's these darker themes that are taking place under the surface along with some violence as it's the beginning of the Nazi regime that may make people uncomfortable,” Anderson said.  

Anderson said that the entire cast, along with the production casting crew, stage manager, assistant director, light board operator, head of makeup and head of props are all roles taken by students. The production team such as scenic designers and costume designers are roles filled by faculty and staff members.  

“The students have worked very hard bringing this show to life and the fact that it still has themes that are relevant today just speaks to the strength of the show and the reason it remained popular all of these years,” Anderson said.  “(We) hope that the audience will walk away with some greater understanding of the way that those dark themes can happen when our attention is being pulled in another direction.”

Admission is $15 for adults and $10 for students and seniors.

Tickets for the performance can be purchased through Ticket Central online or by calling 989-774-3045. Tickets are also available at the door but are subject to availability.    

Concessions will also be provided by the Alpha Psi Omega fraternity outside of the theater where proceeds will go to supporting their mission of participation in and advancement of theatre-based activities at CMU.